Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Paint question for the experts
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2006, 06:10 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
I would guess the value shade will be a very lite gray as I know that color covers white and lite yellow/buff real good.
The think is we are using the buff for a sealer. A DuPont rep explained to my cousin how to make his own sealer using 2k, clear and activator. Mixed in the right ratio. Sealer layed down smooth. The first pass of paint did not cover at all, second pass same thing, third pass you could still see the sealer thru the paint. We went around again to see what it would look like and let it go until the next morning. We nibbed out a few specks and went around with a Sata touchup around all the edges because there was hardly any color at all and the buff sealer was showing thru. 2, 3, and 4 passes on the edges. The we tacked it and shot 2 more coats and finally covered. We had this same problem with the door jambs, hood, and back of cab. One place on the door jambs we had to sand and a small line of teal (previous color) was showing thru. It still did after 4 coats. Thankfully it is where it will not be seen. Yesterday when I went to buy two more quarts of paint the guy at the store told me again that we should have used grey and that buff is almost impossible to cover. Then he proceeded to tell me that even blacks and other colors with more of a pigment will not cover. My thought is that if it does not cover then why even sell it? I don't mind the amount of paint that I had to get as a truck has quite a bit of sheetmetal to cover anyways. We did the inner fenders, underneath the hood, back of the cab, and all of the door jambs. Two quarts of paint but that is a gallon of sprayable material. The jobber thought it all should have been done with half that material. My cousin even thought that was twice as much as regular paint. And factory pak paint is not cheap. And the fact that the paint just took another jump kind of hits the wallet hard. Maybe it is just the fact that the ChromaBase paint does not cover. 48cad....I wish mine was $38 a pint. The Prowler Orange was $80 a quart and just jumped to $87 the other day. So two gallons did get a little costly. You painting that huge Caddy know what I am talking about. And then with the other materials on top of just the paint Just don't do what I did and sit and tally up everything it took to paint your ride. SCARY STUFF!!! Would I paint that color again? You bet Would I do things differently? More than likely. Especially if others have problems painting it over a gray sealer. Just glad to know I'm not in the same boat If I was to do it again I would probably put it over something that is closer to the color that I know covers and then the orange. I would also cut in the areas that we did differently, and overlap a little more. But then again, this is the HELL TRUCK. It has refused to cooperate from day one on anything. From being repaired properly when I first bought it, to the engine being pulled 5 times, to the tranny being rebuilt, to paint going on. The truck has fought back hard for one full year now. I will beat it at any cost. I was too far into it to get rid of it once we got the engine rebuilt and I'll be damned if it is going to win the battle now Then again, maybe I should have painted it red and named it Christine
48cad....Just to let you know, I am looking forward to seeing that Caddy put together. She is going to look super

Quote:
i posted earlier in the year about chevy indigo blue man you talking about hard to cover , it is like water
67goat....i remember the painter that shot my big truck talking about how hard it was to cover. I believe he used ChromaBase on it also. It was Black Saphirre which is a real deep, almost black, blue. He remarked that he never had a hard time shooting dark colors but that was giving him trouble. So maybe it is the ChromaBase. I don't know. But I do know that everything that I have went thru has been one heck of a learning experience.

Last edited by Kevin45; 05-26-2006 at 10:13 AM.