Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Paint question for the experts
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I talked with my Dupont guy today about your problem and the problem was with using the buff primer.
Dupont states in the specs for that color to use a Value Shade 4 gray primer and coverage is with 3 coats max.

The actual mix for that color is extreamly transparent and can be mixed by a compentent jobber instead of using those joke factory pac's. Buying pints for a complete is just insane but due to some of the custom pearls involved with some of the colors,it's not feasable for jobbers to keep them onhand for freestyle mixing.
I agree that most paint IS crap nowdays and coverage as well as shrinkage is getting redicilious but some of these custom colors are tough to get coverage and "some" thought was done by the paint companys to try and make them work without 15 coats.
I'm by no means a professional but I do mostly "custom" stuff and deal with transparents and I've learned to ask my paint supplier "what" I "should" use under them to keep MY life happy.

Anyone know the best color primer under a metalic Silver?

Dupont is going ALL gray shades with their paint according to him BTW.

For what I'm worth,
Mike.