Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Paint question for the experts
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

This gets more interesting by the moment. And more expensive I guess it is a process of learning though and you can't learn unless you make mistakes. Today I pulled the bed and set it on horses so we can get it completed, shove it off to the side, cover it, then get the ghost flames on the truck. So in getting the bed ready I decided to scuff it with 1000 wet or dry. With wet sanding and no pressure on the paper I found that in a lot of surface area the paint was so thin the sealer showed thru. By that I mean probably 80% of what was previously shot. And what was previously shot had three coats on it. A DuPont rep was talked to this morning and he was aware of what was spoken about when it was stated the edges do not cover well. His recommendation was when it happens, just quit, let it set, and shoot again later after you know the base was good and dry. Now the big question is....and from reading the previous post...if DuPont is going to all grey for every value shade for their paint, why the hell even sell the buff? Money maker I suppose. But yet some says it will cover and some says it won't. Now it brings up a point that if it does not cover over buff, why did 48cads not cover over grey when grey was recomended? It sounds to me like DuPont is going down the slippery slope with this.