Paint question for the experts - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009, 05:44 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Ima Dumas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin45
Wow...old thread resurrected. Willwrk4pnt...When i painted it, I did not talk to any Chrysler guys, but I did talk to quite a few experts that paint show cars. They all stated that the Prowler Orange was a tough color to paint for the reasons I stated above. One guy had done his over the value shade of gray and he seemed t have the least trouble with coverage, but the color did not look the same as mine. One painted his over white on a '49 Ford and the color really popped. When I painted my inner fenders, inside of my fenders, the insides of my doors, and jambed it, I got good coverage in a few coats. I think it was because on the small parts, you could lay it on a little heavier. When shooting the truck overall, you are not getting the same mil coverage per spray so the base sealer showed through. And as I stated, everyone that I have talked to had the same problem with this particular color. All in all it took 1 3/4 gallons of base to do everything. I did notice though that when jambing the doors, that the paint actually had better coverage over the factory Teal color than it did the buff sealer. There was an area inside of the door that still had the Teal on the floor. It seem to cover that in one coat and at two coats was completely covered. So base color definately has something to do with it. I do know that if I had to shoot anything in that color again, I would experiment with a different base or more than likely go with a tinted base.

Deadbodyman......You are not the only one that thinks the Indigo blue is a bear. My large truck was basically the same color although I think the correct name for it was black sapphire. Almost identical to Indigo blue. The guy that shot it for me after I got hit complained from the first squirt. Just like shooting water with no coverage on it. The last time I talked to him, he switched brands of paints and has no problems now. So it seems it may be the DuPont paint. I don't know. But for the price of paint it pays to find out ahead of time so as to get your moneys worth. IIRC, the Prowler Orange was right at $700 / gallon. And depending on where you were the jobbers prices fluctuated quite a bit. Prices ranged anywhere from $85-$135/qt.
I don't know what paint is going for now. I guess I am going to have to stop in and see my jobber as I am planning on shooting my Jimmy this Spriing or Summer but I really hate to hear what the price is going to be. I am going to shoot it or at least planning on shooting it Viper Red unless I see another red that catches my eye. I'm just going to hate hearing the story as to how red is so much higher than any other color. LOL!!!
With the way that paints have been going up in the last few years...well decades really.....factory colors are just about in line with HOK paints.
whats HOK meen?been hearing it alot

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2009, 06:53 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hok= house of kolor paint
old thread= thread started and last post in 06, until it was dug up from the dead recently. This is usually done by new members with few posts.
Indigo blue, I don't know if its the same color you guys are talking about, but painted a ricey spoiler and deck lid (welded up old spoiler holes) on a 2000ish cavalier a few years back. Called indigo blue pearl and I think I only sprayed 2 coats ppg dbc on spoiler and over grey primer spots on decklid. But cost was 80 bucks a pint for a friggen blue.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:27 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

HOK ydoky

house of color ,boy do i feel dumb. thread still worth reading info still good,oldie but a goodie
Old 02-23-2009, 02:17 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenseth17
Hok= house of kolor paint
old thread= thread started and last post in 06, until it was dug up from the dead recently. This is usually done by new members with few posts.
Indigo blue, I don't know if its the same color you guys are talking about, but painted a ricey spoiler and deck lid (welded up old spoiler holes) on a 2000ish cavalier a few years back. Called indigo blue pearl and I think I only sprayed 2 coats ppg dbc on spoiler and over grey primer spots on decklid. But cost was 80 bucks a pint for a friggen blue.

I think am going to go with PPG this time around. The thing is I need to find a PPG jobber that is around here without having to drive miles and miles. It seems that every jobber around handles DuPont. There used to be a guy up the road that handled BASF but he had to go out of business because of health reasons. Has anyone ever used the BASF product? According to him, that is what is on a lot of the higher end cars from the factory. He swore by the paint, but he was also a dealer in it so that would go hand in hand.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:03 PM

Last photo:

I haven't used it, other then there cheapo line.
There is one jobber here that handles diamont and glassurit, but have yet to ever use it, even growing up the next door neighbor was a rm paint rep, but never used it. I have heard good things of those lines though. PPG and Dupont seem to be the biggest and in most use around here though. Back when I painted in shops, the ones I worked at used dupont (pretty much mainly chromabase), but I would usually buy ppg for whatever I shot at home.

If memory serves me correctly, I believe rusty (rusty428cj) uses diamont in his shop. And possibly jim (mrcleanr6) has used a fair share.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.