Hot Rod Forum banner

Paint question! (yes....flames)

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  1948PlymouthSpecDel 
#1 ·
ok, what i have now is a 92 pontiac grand prix. its a 2 dr and is medium blue metallic color. the hood has a crack in it and a dime size paint chip. what i wanna do is sand down the hood in the problem areas and fix the problems.

what i wanna do after that is put on some medium metallic green flames on the hood and fenders.

what i need to know is what do i need to do to my existing blue paint for it to accept the new green paint. can i just sand it with some fine paper to get the clear coat off, then mask my flames and paint the green right over the blue, then clear it all ?

THANKS!

#4 ·
You dont need to take the clear coat off. Just use a scotch pad (available at your local paint shop) to scuff the surface of the clear coat on the hood and front fenders. Then sand and repair and prime your problem area. Mask off the flames and spray the flame color. Unmask the flames and mask the rest of the car so you can spray about three coats of clear on the hood and fenders. This will seal the flames base coat and provide a new coat of clear on the entire front end so it will match.

Centerline
http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.