Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Paint questions (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/paint-questions-163099.html)

mike69 08-10-2009 07:11 AM

Paint questions

Guys,

I have a question about painting my car. I recently asked about what type of paint I should use on my engine compartment and (I think) single stage acrylic urethane was recommended. If I go with this how do I blend it with the BC/CC I plan to use for the body? This car was painted from the factory with the fenders in place, which means part of the fender would be painted with the engine comparment. How do I meet the two different types of paint and still make it look good?

Thanks, Mike

jdhemin 08-11-2009 12:24 PM

Paint

Personaly...And I'm probaly gonna open a can of worms here (I hate worms) Iwould keep the paint all one kind I would not try to mix the two.That just asking for trouble from my experence......thanx jdhemin

st3gamefarm 08-12-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike69
Guys,

I have a question about painting my car. I recently asked about what type of paint I should use on my engine compartment and (I think) single stage acrylic urethane was recommended. If I go with this how do I blend it with the BC/CC I plan to use for the body? This car was painted from the factory with the fenders in place, which means part of the fender would be painted with the engine comparment. How do I meet the two different types of paint and still make it look good?

Thanks, Mike

You have to as yourself more than one question;
1- is it solid?
2-or metalic?

If solid, I'd go with single-stage for the whole job. As clear over solid colors tend to get a "milky" look in a couple of years.
If metalic, then Base/Clear, will result in a much better job.

Now if you have secondary colors, flames, or stripes, I'd run with base/clear, as you can shoot more than one color per day, and bury the edges under clear.

mike69 08-13-2009 11:03 PM

Here is the story: Right now I'm doing the engine compartment. I just bought this car and the engine compartment was filthy, so I decided to pull the engine and detail it. I want to paint the engine compartment now but I was going to put off painting the car until this winter. The paint is a metallic, it is a 69 AMX in bittersweet orange and I'm going for a factory look. The question is how do I match or blend the two different paint jobs?

Thanks for the advice,
Mike

st3gamefarm 08-15-2009 04:35 PM

Use Base/Clear for the whole thing. Buy enough to do the entire car, (to ensure color match)
paint the fire wall, etc. plus a little extra.
There will be a defined line, down the fenders, and along the cowl panel, where you can "backtape", when you get ready to do the outside.

Thanx
Shorty

bruce mckenzie 09-09-2009 04:38 AM

Engine Paint

Can anyone help me with painting the engine the same color as the car, I am building a mainly show car but want to give it a run on some of the runs we have, will this destroy the paint on the motor?? I have seen Coddington do it with the car paint or do they never drive them ???