Hot Rod Forum banner

paint questions

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Centerline 
#1 ·
my cars paint has faded and it looks really stupid.

so i have decided to paint it myself as im not doing very well finacially. this means i will need to spray it all only using aerosol cans and not hire a compresser and gun.

my problem is that , i have absoloutly no idea where to start ... what paints do i buy , which is the best... where do i get them from? ..... i know for starters i sand the initial paint down , put on a few layers of primer/hardner (which i already bought from autobarn) , but then what ..... . i dont exactly think its righ to buy an export spray can from the hardware store for 2 bucks and start spraying my car. is there any special types of paint i need to purchase specifically for cars body?, and .. do i need to apply another layer of .. som sort of protection of the paint ... to stop it from scratching so easily and prevent stains etc...?

any help if greatly appreciated , thanks.

#2 ·
Welcome to Hotrodders.com

Howdy. I can gaurantee that if you paint it with spray cans, you'll be back wanting to know why we didn't tell you not to. or, if you think it looks stupid now, wait till you have a tiger stripe pattern from the rattle cans.....

do a search in the body forum on ''painting my car." you'll have enough reading material for days.

if you're going to the trouble of sanding it down, you might as well do it right and use a good paint. I have no idea what is available to you in Au. but here, the ******* is base coat/clear coat or bc/cc. you might be able to find a single stage enamel, i really don't know. but if it were me, i'd do it right the first time. save the rattle cans for something else.

#3 ·
crazy larry said:
.....save the rattle cans for something else.
This man speakith the truth! Don't waste your time and money on rattle can paint. It won't look good and won't last.

Centerline

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.