Paint REMOVER - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 11:24 PM
I'd Rather Be Blown

Last journal entry: Paint remover
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Paint REMOVER

I have a 67 Camaro. the paint (not original) has small bumps under (i think)it. it is flaking of in a few spots like the primer thy used (25 years ago did not adhere to the metal. I want to take it all back to the bare metal to make sure that i get good primer on the metal and a good base for the new base coat clear coat (black) paint to stick to. SO now to my question!!! what is the best way to get all the paint off> I was told paint remover from the hardware store?????/ is there a product that works better on auto paint.........Question number 2 the rust converter stuff (from East Wood) Dose it really work. can i just spray or wipe it on and tada i am done???????ready for paint!!!! my problems are trunk floor and inside doors!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for any help Larry

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 11:56 PM

Last photo:

A lot of people prefer aircraft stripper for stripping paint. I hate this method because I think it's slow, stinky, and takes multiple applications. I'm also afraid of it getting somewhere I didn't see and ruining coats I put over it.

A lot of people prefer pneumatic DA. I don't think most people, shops aside, have a good/big enough compressor or a good enough DA to make it worthwhile. I have a cheap $40 DA and a 3.7 hp 60 gallon compressor and the DA is worthless.

As the home hobbyist, what works best for me is a wire wheel on an angle grinder. Works super fast and removes rust really well too. The only problem is you don't want to get bit by that wheel so protective gear is a must...gloves, face shield, safety glasses... You do get hand fatigue because the tool is the farthest thing from ergonomic and it gets heavy.

No, the rust converter does not work, or work well at all. If you convert the rust, it turns black. Now start sanding it and you see orange dust. That means rust is still there. The converter only works on the very top few microns of the rust layer and the chemical reaction penetrates no deeper.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:35 AM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

chemical stripper is a decent method to remove paint. You don't want to use it on underside of hood, trunk lid etc, wherever it can get underneath bracing. You work a panel at a time. Put masking paper on floor and I prefer to aluminum foil sawhorses or masking paper. Wear respirator, chemical resistant gloves, goggles. Lay it on with brush and follow directions thoroughly. Usually takes 10-15 mins to work before you should start scraping it away. Have fun!
Old 01-03-2012, 12:46 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Something that helps when using stripper is to brush it on and lay saran wrap or plastic over it to keep it from evaporating so it works longer..may take more than one application to get to metal..then clean and DA with 80 grit and epoxy prime and you are good to go..

Sam
Old 01-03-2012, 05:06 AM

Last photo:

I just used Klean-Strip KS-3 from Home Depot to strip my Bronco. Works great!
Old 01-03-2012, 06:13 AM

Last photo:

Keep the strippers away from the seams, and when you are done they have to be neutralized. Just get it wet and active with stripper again and rinse with water. Factory primer usually has to be sanded off.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.