Hot Rod Forum banner

Paint Remover

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  fatrat 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
This is something I never experienced, and I am wondering if it ever happened to anyone else out there. First I have to mention, in the fall and winter I keep my garage at 55 degrees through 2 radiant heat panels (propane). I started to strip the paint off my 61 Corvette a panel at a time. When I was done with the quarter panel I noticed there was a fog or a mist in the garage. Unlike the paint remover it had a slight odor almost like someone used a cleaner. Next day I go in the garage the air is clear and I start on the other quarter same thing....fog or a mist if you will. I've used this remover before and it never happened. Could the ambient temperature have anything to do with this :confused::confused::confused:

#2 ·
Propane is a hydrocarbon, so burning it will create carbon dioxide, and hydrogen oxide, that is water.
You may have increased the humidity in the garage to the point adding extra solvents from the paint remover created the fog some how.

I do not know what type of paint remover you are using, but i have two concerns. First your health. Are you sure you want to inhale the paint remover fumes?
The second, what is the paint remover doing to the fiberglass body parts? fiberglass is porous, and you may end up with paint remover under the paint, no matter how much to clean it after.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply and info. It makes sense of what you say of the mystery mist. This is the first Vette that I stripped in my garage. However, I have stripped and helped strip dozens of Corvettes at the bodyshop that I am the painter in without any paint issues. The remover is Klean-Strip for Fiberglass Paint. It's not bad, but it has a distinct odor that I'm not to keen on. Oh, and thanks for the concern. I do wear eye protection, gloves, and a respirator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.