Hot Rod Forum banner

paint reputation good/bad/STAY AWAY?

5K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  techron 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I have to ask why you're considering purchasing paint over the internet when you live in Nashville. There are paint suppliers all over the place in good sized cities and their expertise can help you pick the right paint system based on the project you're working on. Do a yellow pages search for DuPont, House of Color, and PPG. Those three will give you more than enough paints to choose from. If you prefer just talk to your local Napa store. They carry Martin Senour which is another very good brand.

When you add shipping to an internet order you'll end up paying as much as you would have if you purchased your paint from a local jobber.

Good luck either way.

#7 ·
I would NEVER buy paint products over the net that I have no experiance with, NEVER. There are too many things that can go wrong, too many things left out, additives that you may find you need.

Buy from a local store and get the service and EVERYTHING you may need.

Save money buying something like a CD over the net, buy paint, and eye glasses locally.

Brian

#8 ·
I used a TCP Global/Restoration Shop BC/CC kit for this paint job.

Shots before cut and buff:

And after cut and buff:

I'm not trying to set up an argument with the pros on here like MartinSr. They know their stuff and I have great respect for their long experience. But I think your choice depends a bit on skills and finances. I'm a novice at painting and I just wasn't willing to put a large amount of cash into top of the line materials when I knew full well I'd probably screw something up along the way. Probably MANY things.

I think as amateur painters get better and better they become more and more willing to move up the ladder in terms of quality and cost. And this seems like a wise strategy to me. As an example, I'm quite certain that the next paint I spray I'll be using Restoration Shop base but I'll be switching to a better clear, most likely Southern Polyurethane.

So I'm agreeing that under the right circumstances, Centerline, MartinSr and others are on target regarding good paints from local suppliers. But I also believe that there is a place for the less costly internet paints. I'm delighted with the outcome of my first venture with BC/CC. But the paint and the painter are far from perfect. And as I gain more skills I'll move to higher quality.

#10 ·
paint reputation good bad stay away

Well, I don't disagree with the opinions of the pros on this topic. Especially if you are not real familiar with all processes and additives. But I am going to try the Kustom Shop Rev-Illusion pearls for a flame job on a customers vehicle. He wanted Du Pont Chrome Illusion flames. Priced through local jobber at over 700.00. The Kustom Shop suff was 327.00 w shipping, for twice as much sprayable product. I'd love to support the local community and to be honest, the order was delayed and we will miss our target date of this weekend to paint. So, yes, there are some disadvantages, but for the cost savings... I gambled. Just was not comfortable spending that much $ on a first attempt. I also would like to add that the SPI Universal Clear rocks!! Barry is top notch on his customer support, and guess what? I buy his products online. ( And will not shoot any other clears or Epoxies )

#11 · (Edited)
I'll agree that it is very nice to have a jobber in your area that you can trust, If they are knowledgeable on the products or won't sell you any old junk just to make a buck, or those times when something goes wrong and you need the ability to get more product in a hurry.

I'll have to disagree with not ever ordering paint online and the cost being the same from the local jobbers. I've been using spi Universal clear and their epoxy which is every bit is good if not better then what you get from ppg, dupont and other majors and the cost is a lot more pocket friendly. When Baker warehouse was still in operation, 2 days and it was on the door, and shipping was next to nothing.
Prospray base as well is just as good as dbc which I often used, and I'd say better then chromabase from what I remember (been awhile, but use to use it everyday way back when I still painted full time in a collision shop). Last 3 colors I've gotten where half the cost of dbc from the local supplier, and all covered pretty well. Match was very good except for one (nice to have ordered from a local supplier in this instance, but work get an aweful lot of poor color matches from the local supplier that have to be fixed). But sending a color sample if you order online from someone if you are dealing with a place you can trust could help to make sure its on before shipped. I've been ordering prospray and other products from chad (another member here) who is great to deal with, and had a large enough order last time he covered shipping.
While I normally would recommend getting to know your local jobber and ordering local, I don't buy that you can't save quite a bit of money and still get a pretty good product and that its such a bad idea to order online. When products you want aren't available local, then really have no choice. Saved quite a bit on the last couple jobs ordering online, and there is good product on the cars, even though its not one of the extra pricey major names.

#13 · (Edited)
35, You can contact Chad.S on SPI forum as he is a Prospray jobber/painter.
He's In Mich.and will hook you up clean.
It's really hard to beat a LOCAL jobber who KNOWS his stuff.
My local guy has been one of my mentors as well as a good friend and getting jobber pricing ain't bad either. :thumbup:
At least,I have "someone" to complain to "face to face" when it don't work out and what to do next.
Then,
You have the local "pro's" who come in and get accquainted with which are another valiauable "tool" in this fickle paint world.
You asked earlier about blending the Chromabase Prowler color,The locals are where I get the 411 on this type stuff as well as my jobber who was a painter before getting a counter (real) job.

I also miss SPI's base line,especally the SS stuff as it was some of the BEST going,BUT,I still have "some" of it left hehehe,and pester Barry about bringing it back "someday".Maybe,If WE hammer him enough about it,It could happen.

#15 ·
results are in..

Well, Got flames and truck painted this weekend. Used Kustom Shop pearl and intercoat clear with SPI Universal Clear. I was very happy with the results. This was my first attempt at custom painting and may be my last!! There are two sets of flames on this, man it is VERY time consuming! Chris, the painter that assisted me on this project, said that he was impressed with these products and had experience with HOK stuff.

Attachments

#17 ·
Econo Bake, Earl Schieb

I have had the WORST experiences with Econo Bake and Earl Schieb. And I have never heard anything good about them either.

I know some of you may blast me for using them when they are obviously cheap but I honestly think they should be charged with fraud for the crap they put out.

Anyway, just my two cents. Don't use Econo Bake or Earl Schieb!

#18 ·
I am a professional painter and own a custom car shop. I use my local jobber for Dupont and PPG. I also use paintforcars.com, smartshopper.com and SPI. I have found that they all are good products. I particularly like Kirker products I get from smartshopper.com. The are very affordable, and ship quickly. I have had and have heard of a lot of good things about the guys at SPI too.

I don't hesitate about using any of them.

Frank Cox
Cox Custom Cars
Cox Custom Cars

#19 ·
Countilaw said:
I am a professional painter and own a custom car shop. I use my local jobber for Dupont and PPG. I also use paintforcars.com, smartshopper.com and SPI. I have found that they all are good products. I particularly like Kirker products I get from smartshopper.com. The are very affordable, and ship quickly. I have had and have heard of a lot of good things about the guys at SPI too.

I don't hesitate about using any of them.

Frank Cox
Cox Custom Cars
Cox Custom Cars
to the OPs question. while not a pro painter i have done several cars and motorcycles in the last few years. i agree with Frank 100%, have used smartshoppers and paintforcars both, never had a problem with their products and i to like the kirker brand. out here in cal. i almost have to buy off the net, the local jobbers just won't sell to non shops or what they do is just stupud crazy expensive.

if you deal with either ask them to send you a paintt chip chart, then you can be assured the color you order is indeed the color you want. sometimes a color chart on the moniter is not the true color... :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.