paint runs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2005, 06:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

paint runs

i just painted my first truck.and i got a couple of runs on the side of the bed the truck is black with no metallic.i have been told when it cures i will be able to color sand the runs out.i want to know is this correct or will i have to repaint those spots.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

That is correct. You can also buy a run plane, its like a little wood plane except it is small and has a razor blade in it. They have them at the body shop supply stores. It will plane your run down and then you can water sand it with some 500 ultra fine and then buff it.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:30 PM

Last photo:

paint run

i forgpt to say i used enamel paint
Old 10-23-2005, 07:41 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

That method works good on enamel.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:31 PM

Last photo:

As long as you added a hardener to the enamel you will be able to buff out runs in single stage with a solid color, as long as there is enough paint on it and the runs are not really huge. I just use a standard single edge razor blade. Hold it at a slight angle from 90 degrees to the surface and scrape in one direction to shave the run down. You may want to dull the edges of the razor blade by rounding the corners on a piece of sandpaper to help prevent the edges from digging in. Once most of the run is shaved, wetsand with a block and 600 wet or 1000 wet depending on how big the run is. Then wetsand with finer grits to get finer scratches to buff out. Once you get down to 1000, 1500 range you should be able to buff out the scratches with compound. You can always sand finer, but 1500 will buff out fairly easy. I also got a pretty big run out once by using 400 dry on a da after shaving being carefull and concentrating on the high areas of the run, then wetsanding like I normally do. It was a little scary doing it that way, but wetsanding with a block I wasn't making much headway getting the run completely out and it was a larger run then accustom to. If your hitting areas around the run sanding while trying to get out the run, you can easily sand through.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:45 PM
©®™

Last photo:

I've had pretty good luck using 400 dry paper wrapped around a paint stirring stick that is cut to about 4 inches long. Works real well if the run is not inside a contour. Hold the paint stick as flat as possible as to just hit the high spot the best you can. When flat, sand the area and buff as others have described.

The only problem I can see that you might have is that this area might look flatter than the rest of the panel if the panel has any orange peel to it. It's hard to get away with anything on black. It would work fine if you were color sanding the whole vehicle to remove all orange peel.

I have done this with both lacquer and Single Stage urethanes but not with enamel.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.