paint stencils - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2013, 05:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

paint stencils

hi, i am new here so will appreciate any input. i am getting ready to paint ss stripes on a 69 chevelle. i have a stencil kit and am worried about the glue on new base coat. what i am planning on doing is laying down a couple coats of clear over the base. then wet sand the clear, lay down the stencil and then shoot the base. my question is after i pull the stencil if i have some glue residue, especially between the stripes i am concerned about using prepsall or any.grease and wax remover to get the glue off if i were to get some on the base coat. i know every where i read they say do not use grease and wax remover on base coat. thanks for any input. i have been painting for a few years but this is the first paint stripes i have done.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

I had a buddy of mine who owns a print shop (t-shirts, plaques, etc) make up a set of stencils for me using the sign vinyl. I put it on over clear coat that I had allowed to cure about a week. I airbrushed the design in base, removed the stencil and cleared over the whole thing. No problems.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:19 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

If they are quality stencils they wont leave any residue on the surface when removed. Most of them actually have very little adhesive on them. We have used several of them and never had any problems. However we started measuring and taking pictures of the factory stripes, then use fine line tape and masking paper for the new stripes a few years ago. I think it works a lot better. The stencil kits have a tendency to bleed/seep at the edges if you get a little heavy with the base, so be sure to rub all the edges well prior to applying the base.

Kelly
Old 07-25-2013, 05:45 PM

Last photo:

Beware my friend I had a very bad experience with stencils on a hood I did about 6-7 months ago. It was a "fresh" kit from OPG in cal. needless to say all the glue residue stuck to the hood and was a real bear to get off. I ended up screwing up a lot of it and had to re hash mask off small sections to repair the stripe that got ruined. took me all day and night on something that should have been 2-3 hours tops. Pure torture, beleive me. From that point on if it is not a 3M kit, do not waste your time, get a 3M kit I now order direct from stencils and stripes .com. they carry 3M kits. You may want to take a chance and use yours but if you have problems you will wish you spent the extra cash just not to have to go through what I did.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

One of the things I found to work is to lay on some intercoat clear over the base and let cure overnight and then do the stencils and graphics..

Sam
Old 07-25-2013, 08:38 PM

Not sure what the stencil is or made by, but if it is a quality, low tack, stencil, you should have no problem over basecoat. I use it often - local sign company cuts them out for me using their computer.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Willys77 View Post
Not sure what the stencil is or made by, but if it is a quality, low tack, stencil, you should have no problem over basecoat. I use it often - local sign company cuts them out for me using their computer.
That is fine if you know where it is coming from and you know that it is a fresh one. The big problem being is when you order one from a big vendor, which most people do, is you don't know how old it is and if it is a low quality one or not. The one I had came from original parts group and they swore up and down it was fresh and high quality. When I went to pull it apart after I laid it all out it came apart in little tiny peices (very brittle) I knew right then and there I was in big trouble.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.