Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Paint steps and tips
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 09:53 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

RESEARCH IT. +1

"I figured might as well put in the time to paint it, problem is I've never painted or preped any car for paint I know little about what I want but not how to do it. I want to take it the bare metal epoxy it and use a basecoat the truck is gonna be blue or silver any tips would be helpful"

You asked for it.

Realise you are going to spend a minimum of 100 hours of hands-on work time + bodywork on this. That does not count smoke stops, coffee breaks or sucking suds with your buddies or cleaning up, its 100 hours of hands-on work and 100 hours of everything else in your life you are not doing.

It's dirty, messy work that smells bad, tastes worse and gets onto and into everything so figure on wearing painter's tyvek jump suits to throw away or get divorced over a washer/dryer combo.

Going down to metal would also mean pulling the windshield & backglass (they may break) and reaming out all of the seam sealer. Add another $500 for sealer, gun and sundries.

Sorry to rain on your parade but I have seen too many people start too many projects and thrown in the towel half-way thru because they did not realise how much work and time this takes.