Hot Rod Forum banner

Paint stripping disks

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  ScotY 
#1 ·
My plan was to use paint stripping disks to strip my truck to bare metal.

Sunchaser Tools (read about them in Hot Rod magazine...they teach metalworking classes and sell a shrinking disk kit) use a Makita sander and those paint stripping/Kleen and strip disks. The Makita runs at 4500 rpm no load.

I thought this was a fine plan until I happened across this thread here:
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/adhesive-bonding-69203.html
Where baddbob says "The klean-n-strip discs leave a transparent coating on the steel when they are turned at a high rpm."

This quote is in reference to using panel adhesive, but I thought poor adhesion is poor adhesion...doesn't matter if it's paint, filler, or panel adhesive...right?

So, what's the consensus on those paint stripper wheels? Are they okay to use?

#2 ·
I have used those paint stripper disc, but I used them after most of the paint was off the metal. Your best bet is to use a chemical stripper, then whats left ,take off with the discs. You will save yourself money and time. Those discs arent cheap and you will need a ton to do a car.

#3 ·
I was trying to avoid chemical strippers because of the mess and need to clean it all off afterwards. I spoke to Ken at Sunchaser Tools in California. They recommend their stripping disks run on the Makita sander. He claims you can strip an entire car with two of their disks and that you should avoid sharp edges, bolt/screw holes, etc. to prolong the life of the disk.

I discovered something the other day. I have some small (probably 5") disks that I tried on the Makita. I think those disks are made by 3M or some other well known company (got them from the paint supply shop). They left no residue that I could see. I also tried a ~4" disk from Harbor Freight that I had laying around...ran this on a die grinder. The HF disk left a blackish tinted residue on the metal. It almost looked like dirt or grease left behind and, I'm assuming, it's smeared/melted plastic or whatever the disk is made of. Not sure if this was a result of the much higher rpm of the die grinder or the cheap quality of the HF disk. In any case, there was definately a difference noticed.

Anyway, I placed an order with Sunchaser for some of their large stripping disks. I couldn't find anything larger than 5" locally so their 6" and 8" disks should work a lot better on the Makita. Even with the tiny 5" disk I was using, it's a quick process to strip the paint and it leaves a nice 80 grit (according to Sunchaser) finish on the metal. Yes, they are expensive. I'm hoping there won't be any problems that show up in the future, but I'm thinking it will be okay.

#4 ·
Give the whole car a good sanding with 80 grit on a DA sander or by hand after the stripping discs. That transparent residue from running too high RPM is what will kill the adhesion of your primer or adhesive-and you can't see it. Be safe, sand it, and clean it well before primer. Some of the adhesive manufacturers have bulletins out warning of the possible problems.

#5 ·
This might sound a little goofy but my buddies at a local body shop use a razor blade to get the biggest part of the paint off the body's of the cars they're prepping. It actually works. I am personally using the rolocs because the primer is too thin to strip with a razor blade. But I did see an article about using those 1/2" thick discs that look like shreaded wheat. Suppose to outlive the rolocs conciderably. I have yet to try mine though.

Dave G

#6 ·
My dad is good friends with a guy that works for a company that makes painting supliesand he recently gave us 2 big bags of stripping disks, 5 bags of scuff pads, a big box of rolocs and a couple paint suits.
Back on subject the stripping disks dont appere to leave any residue.

#10 ·
Thanks for the links! Those are great prices! I don't know how much most people pay for the 3M disks, but they're really expensive over here.

I just got in my order of 6" and 8" disks from Sunchaser Tools. I will use them on a Makita sander and let you all know how it works. Suppossedly, very quick and easy to remove paint and rust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.