Paint Versus Powdercoat (again) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2010, 04:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Paint Versus Powdercoat (again)

My car is a '71 Triumph GT6

I'm looking at possible coating options for my chassis and running gear, and am weighing up the pros and cons of paint and powder coat

I try and avoid the Triumph forums as most of the owners have very low level cars - most owners just use Hammerite for their components

The cars you hotrodders build are awesome so I'm looking for your help

I've heard that powdercoating is both strong and durable, but it can't really be touched in, and that if it does chip once water gets behind it it falls off in sheets as the rust works under it

Also, what kind of colour match would I get if I went for a kandy paint finish?

I like the fact that there would be less work for me if I went for powdercoat as I'd take it to a professional to do, but I'd rather just go for the 'best' (read toughest) finish regardless of effort involved

I'm in England, and will use the car in all weathers

Which option will give me the toughest, best looking, and lowest maintenance finish?

Or, which option is the best compromise for my needs?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 06:15 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Well I've used both bc/cc and powder coat for chassis components. They both have thier pros and cons. The only realy drawback for powder coat is color matching can be difficult, esep metallics and pearls (and you can't do components that can't take the 450 degree heat like shocks). Other than that, it's powdercoating hands down in my opinion.

As far as chiping and rusting, "falls off in sheets as the rust works under it" is just not true. IF it get chipped, it it's no different than if it was paint. If the powder coat flakes off it's becuase of poor prep. Any good powder coater will sandblast the part first, that's the best way.

Yes, you can't really touch up powder coat w/ more powder coat, just use a dab of matching paint, no different than if it was a paint job that chipped.

I had my entire chassis and suspension powder coated candy blue over silver. It was a lot of work for the powdercoater but it's super durable and looks great. I could have painted it, but it would even more work and not as durable.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:10 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

My chassis and various brackets are powder coated as well. I did this after I had painted the chassis but ended up with too many digs and scratches. Mine was done at the same place as the blue one above - and it is a very nice, well protected job. There is one area that is also done that is virtually impossible to do with paint and that's the interior side of the frame. While it probably wont fully extend the full length of a tube, it does go a fair distance. I chose to do mine in standard black and that can be easily touched up though so far have not found anywhere that needed repair even after doing the entire automobile assembly.

Dave W
Old 12-22-2010, 09:31 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys

So, that's two votes for pc so far

Anyone want to vote for paint?

I'd heard that pc will stick really well, and that if water got behind a chip you the powdercoat wouldn't show the rust until it was too late

There's a place close to me that has a good reputation for blasting and coating

What questions should i ask them?

I've recently heard about a product called Zinga
It's a brushable/speakable liquid zinc

As I'm in England rust is a big issue for me

What do you think about a coating of the liquid zinc then powdercoat?

.....oh, almost forgot, those pictures are niiiice!!
Old 12-22-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_8u
Thanks guys

So, that's two votes for pc so far

Anyone want to vote for paint?

I'd heard that pc will stick really well, and that if water got behind a chip you the powdercoat wouldn't show the rust until it was too late

There's a place close to me that has a good reputation for blasting and coating

What questions should i ask them?

I've recently heard about a product called Zinga
It's a brushable/speakable liquid zinc

As I'm in England rust is a big issue for me

What do you think about a coating of the liquid zinc then powdercoat?

.....oh, almost forgot, those pictures are niiiice!!
OK - there are lots of opinions with powder coating vs paint

Arrowhead and I live within 10 miles of each other. We live in what we call the rust belt here in the US. What this means is that the local highway departments use heavy amounts of salt to clear the roads of snow and ice (something you in the UK are familiar with currently ) Regardless of the time of year, there is always some residue. PC provides a fairly flexible coating which is very resistant to stone chips as well as dropped tools and car parts. Another positive is that it is applied or should be, anyhow, to steel which has been media blasted to what is known as 'near white' condition with no rust. That answers your one question about the zinc undercoat - you don't use it. One drawback - if you forgot to weld a bracket on first - then you do have to clean to bare steel, do your welding, then try to figure how to cover the bare spot or have the chassis stripped then recoated

Now, an alternate coating system that many here use also begins with a near white media blasted chassis. Then the undercoat is an epoxy primer. This too provides good protection that many feel is equal too the PC. Once you get the epoxy on, then you finish the chassis like any other body part with the paint system of your choice. And to answer your question, can I purchase epoxy in the UK, yes!! Many on this forum use SPI which is what the body of my car has for the initial undercoat. There are many brands available, i.e. BASF's RM, PPG and DuPont are International and are good products

Obviously, there are pros and cons with each. I found that in calculating time and cost that the PC was about the same or maybe even a bit less then having someone media blast my car's chassis, then epoxy then paint - plus the fact that the powder coater could clean and cover areas of parts that I could never reach. My chassis, completely cleaned of the old paint then coated was less then $500 USD and was done in about a week - I took it to him, left it, then returned - and it was done.

Dave W
Old 12-22-2010, 03:53 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Dave

I think you've just about talked me into going the PC route

As fat as the bodywork I was going to go with Pro-spray as I can't get SPI here
Old 12-22-2010, 06:57 PM

We like pictures - so with that said, I do hope to see some in the future even if a Triumph isn't a hot rod. It's still an enthusiasts fun/hobby car and that's what counts . As a note, the best way to post photos here is via the free on-line Photobucket website, tho there are drawbacks to that, but still better then a thumbnail which often doesn't do the job.

Dave W
Old 12-22-2010, 07:24 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, I know I'm invading with my non hotrod car - but you guys have attention to detail which is second to non, so I thought I'd hang around and see what I can learn

I put some links to my car in another one of my threads

There are a few pictures (not very good quality) so here's a link to the album

Here's a couple of links to my car

http://s654.photobucket.com/albums/.../Triumph%20GT6/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k36qz9uYil0
Old 12-23-2010, 06:54 PM

Last photo:

Given a choice, I'd go with powder too as long as I knew I was using a reliable coater.

That said, I rebuilt a 25 ton equipment trailer for our business about 20 years ago. Had to do a lot of structural work on it, and when it was done we sandblasted it thoroughly. I then primed everything with an industrial epoxy from Sherwin Williams, and covered that with an industrial enamel like you'd use on machinery.

Today, there's not a spec of rust or any place that's been chipped to bare metal anywhere on the underside of the frame. Its been on gravel which ends up stuck in tire treads and later thrown at the frame when the truck/trailer is on the road, and in many other places you'd never take a decent car. Based on that experience, I'd have to say epoxy over a properly prepared surface will hold up very well over the long term.

So, either one will work, but proper prep is the key and I don't know of anything that'll take the place of blasting to achieve the proper surface to hold either powder or epoxy.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:38 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Yeah, I know I'm invading with my non hotrod car - but you guys have attention to detail which is second to non, so I thought I'd hang around and see what I can learn

I put some links to my car in another one of my threads

There are a few pictures (not very good quality) so here's a link to the album

Here's a couple of links to my car

http://s654.photobucket.com/albums/.../Triumph%20GT6/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k36qz9uYil0
as far as your car invading and not being a hotrod,
i feel like, anything modified - to make it faster, slower, taller, lower, handle or stop better or just look a little different is a hot rod.
its all good to me
Old 12-26-2010, 02:54 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Just tossing my $1 (USD) haha. As much as I dislike powder coating (I do lots of chassis repair) For you I'd give in and have it PC reason being is you drive it all weather. You will still get chips and scuffs but not like paint even epoxy. Just touch it up with a matching color as close as possible.

The big warning I give is just make sure you have everything welded that needs to be welded and all the holes are drilled and tapped as required. Repair work is .....well difficult and expensive to use "family" language. There are disolvers that will take the PC off reasonably well but still they are messy and time consuming.

Don't worry about being in the hotrod group. These guys here are gear heads and deal with anything on wheels. The biggest problem is you drive on the wrong side of the road. hahahaha

Welcome aboard.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:47 AM

Last photo:

Great Pics guys. Add another vote for Powdercoat.The stuff is really tuff. I used it on some brackets that take a direct hit of abuse from the rear wheels on my pickup. Wash it off, and it looks as good as new. No chips.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

Just went to the powdercoaters today to ask them a few questions

They said under no circumstances should I powdercoat the chassis

They said it will chip, then flake, them fall off in sheets!

The company I went to see have a very good reputation, but the building etc didn't inspire me with confidence before I'd even walked through the door

Maybe they're right and it would chip, after all they're the 'professionals'
Or maybe they're just not that good?

Hmmmmm.....
Old 01-17-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Just went to the powdercoaters today to ask them a few questions

They said under no circumstances should I powdercoat the chassis

They said it will chip, then flake, them fall off in sheets!

The company I went to see have a very good reputation, but the building etc didn't inspire me with confidence before I'd even walked through the door

Maybe they're right and it would chip, after all they're the 'professionals'
Or maybe they're just not that good?

Hmmmmm.....
Well, I guess if it was me, I would try to find another powder coater because what they told you was sheep droppings. My guess - they didn't want to do your car chassis. I do have a source of information in England that I'll try to contact for another powder coater and get back.

Dave W
Old 01-17-2011, 08:19 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

sounds like you need to talk to a diiferent shop
i dont think they are prepping the parts correctly
when we get wheels done sometimes, they dont sand blast the insides,and it comes off where the wires go, that hold up the wheels in the booth.
it will peel like that because its not roughed up.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.