Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Paint and work racks
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 2,351 Times in 1,881 Posts
Originally Posted by John long View Post
The problem with the store bought racks is this. One doesn't help you. When you are building a car, you have at least 2 doors, hood, and deck lid. At best you need 4 of them so 350 dollars becomes 1400. i can't justify that to build a car every 4-5 years. My ceiling is low enough I usually hang them.

I think the biggest regret for most of us who do this for a hobby is not being able to justify first class equipment.

More so now that I am an old guy and going to die soon.

I really push for the best equipment that I can possibly afford. When I remodeled my bath room I went into the hardware store and told him I want you to treat me like a pro when it comes to equipment and I let me make up my mind if I can't afford it. I bought nearly all the very best they had by way of tools and methods and it paid off big time! The way I looked at it was if I was paying someone to do it I would be paying a heck of a lot more so if I am still saving a ton of money I was going to do it with the least back breaking as I could. It worked like a dream.

Those folding racks by the way are available for a LOT less than $350 now! Even the Matco Tool truck had them for about $50 the other day. But a bunch of guys in the shop bought some from another vendor the other day for only $25 each!

And even the other ones have a lot of compitition so the price is way down. Here is one for $159
Amazon Amazon