Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Paint wrinkling.
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 06:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You're not going to like my answer. But in my opinion the doors were either painted before with cheap paint or lacquer and they will have to be stripped to the bare metal and re-primed to get good lasting results. Another thing, in looking at the pictures it looks like you applied the body filler right over the paint. IMO that too is a no no. Body filler should be applied to bare metal and the existing paint should be feather edged away from it for good lasting results. In the area were the body filler over laps the paint, shrinkage could occur later on down the road.

Another alternative would be to stay away from the epoxy primer/sealer and try using PPG's standard two part primer (I forget the number). Epoxy primer/sealer has a lot stronger solvents and is usually used on bare metal.

But guess what? If you are just fixing the car up with a quickie paint job and your'e not worried about longevity, then everything that I just said is crap! Go to your local paint supplier and get some water born primer/sealer. Lightly sand down the wrinkled area just enough to remove the wrinkles and apply the water born primer/sealer to the whole door. Then you can put what ever you want to on it and it should stay down.

Paint reps are always a good source of information when ever you have trouble. Don't be afraid to ask. No mater how stupid you may think your question is, they have heard plenty more that are even more stupid then your's

Good luck and I hope this helps!
Chris

Last edited by Chris Kemp; 05-26-2009 at 06:25 PM.