Painted the Nova yesterday - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Painted the Nova yesterday

I finally got around to painting the Nova, PPG BC/CC. Came out awesome except for a few dust nibs and a spot where a mosquito crash landed on the roof! I'll fix that today.

What's a reasonable length of time to wait to deal with the nibs? I've been told 30 days, the data sheet doesn't cover it. I intend to wet sand with 2000 grit and reclear after, is buffing and cutting really required? It's going to hurt to attack the glassy surface for sure!

Thanks, Larry

Advertisement

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2008, 11:30 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Congrats on getting her painted. If you plan on reclearing, there is no reason to buff. I am not sure the amount of time your clear may have to recoat without sanding and have adhesion, but I would want to sand anyways, to cut down any peel and dirtnibs, not just add more texture on top of it. If you are happy with the way it is now, there is no reason you would have to do anything at all, depends on your expectations, but most of us want as free of peel and imperfections and there pretty much always at least a few, so we cut and buff to improve. Also could just knock out the spots with dirt nibs and then polish those areas back, it all depends again on your expectations and what you are dealing with.
If you are reclearing, I would personally sand with courser then 2000 grit. I like to use 800, but others here use even courser to cut out any urethane peel. then concentrate on applying glossy but not thick coats on the reclear, to keep urethane peel down. 800 or courser also will cut down orange peel and knock out dirt specs with little effort. Best would be to use a block for the majority of the sanding and leveling. Just be carefull of edges and body lines that can break through fairly fast if your not carefull. Some may also reduce there clear for this or use a lower solids clear, and will apply 2 to three coats. Do a search on flow coats, believe its been covered here before. I don't flow coat, but do screw up enough that I rebase a small section and basically do the same as a flow coat otherwise.
As far as when you can buff, most urethanes are good to go the next day, depending on temps and how you apply. I haven't had many issues reclearing the next day if I haven't broke through, but if you already have a lot of solvent buildup and you then dump on more clear, there is a possibility of problems. You may want to cut it with sandpaper and sit it out in the sun for awhile, just for a safe measure.
Good luck.

Last edited by kenseth17; 06-22-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Thanks again Ken, I'm very pleased with how things went, but still need to bc the hood and deck and add the stirpe. I know what you mean about solvent buildup, I shot the last coat of clear last night about 8:30 and got runs in one spot. Sanded them out this morning and shot the whole fender again....well, instant reaction on the unsanded part, almost like foamed up, lol. Oh well, more elbow grease and I'm at it again.

Want to thank you and rodder18 for the help and advice along the way, when I get it put back together I'll put some pictures up. There definitely are some tricks only learned through experience, I've had my share, even the lid just blowing off the full cup and showering a fender, what fun, eh?

Thanks, Larry

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 06-22-2008, 03:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I know what you mean, no matter how long you've doing it, you can still always expect some unexpected surprises, or accidents.
I haven't painted one for awhile now, but the last one, my base gun stopped shooting right mid job. So I took off the cap and the needle out and cleaned it and put back together, still wasn't working right. Getting frustrated at this point, and not thinking, and forgetting the fact a gun with a pressurized cup will shoot a nice steady stream without being hooked up to air, decide to point the gun at myself and try to see whats going on. A steady stream of base in the eye burns like hell, so I throw the gun down and stumble to find the house and bathroom to flush out my eye. Now I have my contacts out, and old broken taped up glasses on, catch my breath a bit and go back to figure out my gun and get paint on the damn thing. Now I notice when throwing down my gun in haste, I have big globs of base all over the fender to sand out. Eventually get it sanded out and some how the gun shooting right again. Get the sanded area rebased and base on parts left to do, and clear the job, but sure was hard and painfull getting there. Painting can sure be an adventure sometimes.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.