Painters in Eastern Iowa? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 07:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Painters in Eastern Iowa?

Can anyone here recommend a good painter in Eastern Iowa? I'm in the Cedar Rapids metro area, but willing to go out a 50 mile radius if need be. I'm not necessarily looking for concourse show quality... just want a good balance between price and quality. Have the body in epoxy, just need someone to do finish filler work (minor), seam sealer, 2k or similar, and paint with base / clear. Pretty much ready to pull the trigger on this now.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 10:05 PM

Last photo:

Freddy, I'm in Ames. Good luck on your search. There is a fantastic paint and body shop in town (they're actually the biggest in the state)...Shaffer auto body that will give your car a slick job. However, I think you're going to find a lot of shops won't spray over your prep work, Shaffer's included. Nobody in this town will spray over someone else's prep work. And unfortunately the shops that I can think of that would do that are not shops I could recommend to you in good faith.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:30 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Lizer. I understand what you are saying and I understand their position too. I had a guy all lined up that did good work and had guided me thru the prep and primer stage - then he was going to do the finish straightening and squirt it. Unfortunately, he has been struck with cancer and only has weeks to live. So now I am searching for someone new.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:01 AM

Last photo:

Freddy, I do know of a guy in Osceola. I know it's a bit of a drive for you. He's an old retired body guy and now he restores Mustangs professionally. I've been in the shop and have seen his body work and can say it's superb and impressive. I have not seen any of his paint jobs but I don't have any doubts they'd be different than his prep work, though he has another guy who does all the spraying who's supposed to be pretty good. If you sweet talk him, he can be convinced rather easily to spray over your work. He was going to shoot my 67 Mustang that I prepped but I'll be doing that mostly myself now. He is cheap too (says he has to be because of his location) at ~$30-40/hr.

I would be happy to provide you with his info if you so desire it.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

Thanks much, Lizer. I will keep this in mind. Because of the distance involved, for now, I am going to try to keep finding someone more local. If that proves unsuccessful, I will PM you for the info. I greatly appreciate your help!
Old 05-14-2011, 02:28 PM

Last photo:

I don't blame you. That would probably be a good four hour drive or so for you? Okay, I originally didn't want to bring this one up but there IS one person in this town who would shoot over your stuff I'm sure. His place is kind of sketchy and I wasn't exactly happy with some metal work and sandblasting he did for me some time ago, but he's a nice guy, wants to help me out, and it's hard to stay mad at him. He's been painting for a long time and can still make your car look good nonetheless, especially if you aren't going for concourse.

I was just in there this morning to look at some junk mustangs he had in the back. He offered to rent his paint booth to me when I'm ready to spray my Mustang. If I end up doing that, I would probably have him shoot the clear and I'd feel fine about it. His shop time is $60/hr.

I have a friend who owns 50+ old rare European cars that he completely restores (all of them fully licensed, insured, registered, and driven) and he sends all of them to this guy I'm telling you about now for body work or paint.

I'm about 2 hrs from you. Just another option in case you still don't find something local.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:49 AM

Last photo:

OK - thanks again. I will definitely let you know if I decide to give this a try.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.