Paintin' Garage Floors - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2003, 05:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Garage floor paint - opinions?

Well paint is paint, hope I'm posting correctly.
For my new garage floor (360 Sq ft), I'm going to bite the bullet and do the Muriatic acid etch thing plus all the other stuff required to make this paint stick like "Flem of Gorilla". The garage floor is about 15 years old but has never been lived in by oil dripping monsters. In the world of epoxy floor paints it seems there are water based epoxies and other (??) epoxies. Also curious about non-slip additives as I'm sure the finish will be a slick as -- (see above). I'm wondering what you guys have experienced regarding all the brands that are flying around out there now?? Who's had good/bad experiences, what brands??

BTW, I'm struggling a ton to put this paint on my floor as I LOVE to paint cars, but now gonna have to get out the blue tarps when I do this - ARRRRGH!

Didn't find anything on the knowledge base for this, maybe we can start something??

Thanks and Happy New Year to you guys

The TRACKMAN

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2003, 06:04 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Trackman;
I have painted the floors in two of my shops, one with enamel epoxy and the other with water base. The water base lasted about 1 year. the enamel has been on for 10 years and is still in good shape on most of the floor, even using harsh cleaners.
We used a 2 foot roller and laid it on heavy. Good Luck

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod
Old 12-26-2003, 06:41 PM
Old Salt

Last photo:

Leave it natural, won't have to repaint, worry about chipping. Is this a cosmetic phase or are you going to show off the floor to the gang?
I've been working in Navy hangers with floors painted, all it did was add work to clean. It was much simplier to put the oil dry down, scuff it up and dump it back in the can to reuse later.
Put the money into the car.
Dutch
Old 12-26-2003, 06:47 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Mines been natural for 15 years. Every time I paint, I get a new colour for a while...lol

Trouble with not painting it is, there is a lot more dust.

Budget RVs
Old 12-26-2003, 06:51 PM
Distracted by shiny objects

Last photo:

Won't that make the floor slippery when it's wet? I'd be more concerned about the safety aspect than esthetics.

Chickie.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:57 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

I paint my workshop floor with a cheap "floor Paint" every spring. Something about a clean shop floor helps the attitude. A light color makes that dropped/lost washer, nut or tiny clip easy to find and reflects light also. Just plain easier to cook in a clean kitchen
Old 12-26-2003, 07:30 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

The garage that I have now is natural. That is simply because I have not had the time or room to paint it. That last garage that I had, I painted. The only paint I could find that didn't specifically say that you weren't supposed to drive on it, was gray. I was worried that it was going to be too dark. Actually it was a light gray when it dried. It lightened up the place so much, I usually only had 1/2 of the lights on when I was working. It also made it alot easier to clean if I wanted to paint. I kept an industrial mop and bucket for moping up after I swept, or spilled anything. It also dried considerably quicker, as it didn't soak things into the concrete.

Now if I could only find someplace to put my stuff so I can paint this one! OH... I did suggest to my wife that we build another garage so I have someplace to put my stuff while painting the floor. She didn't go for it.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:32 PM
**** or get off the pot

Last photo:

I actually did tile in my shop, the black and white checker board like you see on HPTV and trucks. The floor was first painted about 3 years ago with a water based paint, and as mentioned in an above post lasted not much longer than a year. If you want to paint it than epoxy is the way to go. When we did the tile I lucked out, Lowes was having a blow out on vinyl tile and bought all the white and black they had for $3 a box.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:05 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

now I want tile too
Old 12-26-2003, 10:18 PM
Laissez les bons temps rouler

Last journal entry: Frame Removal
Last photo:

Before we moved into our new house this past September, we painted the garage floor with a kit we picked up from Home Depot. It was a 2 part epoxy and came with color flecks to put on-top while it is still wet. We let it dry for a few days before we moved in. Now, it is pretty tough, non-slip, and cleans real easy. I haven't had a chance to mop it yet, but I will as soon as I can see the whole floor. We painted it a tan color with brown and grey color flecks. Looks pretty good. Oh, it took 2 kits to do our 2 car garage.

Chris
Old 12-26-2003, 11:00 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

Painted floors are slippery eh?? That gives me an idea.. I think I might just paint mine - the more slippery, the better. Then maybe the next time the neighbor's cat backs up to pee on my torque thrusts, I'll be able to catch the little b-stard. I think what that blame cat needs is a nice long, one-way trip out in the country.
In the trunk

No, really.. I like the looks of a nice slick floor, It kind of sets off a rig. Only trouble is, in my little shop I do everything from building trailers to body work to engine swaps, in there. I don't think a fancy- shmancy epoxy job would hold up to that kind of abuse for long. My Dad was a cement finisher for over fifty years. He liked the natural look of a well finished floor. In fact, he was VERY reluctant to seal any of his exposed aggregate jobs either, unless the customer insisted.

Burke 20/40 works good to keep the oil spots from soaking in. Other then that I'd leave it naked.

Just Me
Old 12-27-2003, 04:28 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

I have my floors painted and think they are great. Easier to keep clean. A fine bristled push broom takes the dust and all up. USE A GOOD PAINT. You scrimp on quality paint you will regret it. Look at the U-Coat system. A little more costly but will definitely last. Also with the U-Coat-it you get color chips you can throw down into it to add some difference to the look. As for anti-slip additives, personally I would/am against it. All it is, is sand tossed in. It makes it rough and considerably harder to sweep. Dirt likes to hang in it better along with leaves, etc, if they blow in. I buy the long carpeted runners from Van Dyne Crotty (an industrial supplier we have at work that deals in carpet runners and work clothes) that are 3' x 10' in length and keep them down in front of the bench and along the car when you step out. Every so often I will buy one or two extras just to rotate. Used they are $10-15 / pc. They are rubber backed and clean up super with a power washer. When I get home later today I can post all the floor covering sites I have saved so you can look thru them and decide for yourself. Now if I could only find the B/W tiles for $3.00 a box.....LOL!!

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin45; 01-22-2004 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the replies. Kevin, the U-Coat-It deal looks the best although if you go to Home Depot, the cost/sq ft is the best. I'm still unclear about "Water Based Epoxies" (U-Coat-It and Home Depot, aka Rustoleum) vs. "Solid Epoxies" such as Musclegloss.
Another confusing factor are the number of coats of STUFF required AFTER ETCHING!!, it's all over the place!

My reason for doing this is to add reflective light and get rid of the little pile of grey concrete dust that always arrives at the dustpan after a healthy sweep. Gonna stay away from the non-slip additives cuz they're a pain to sweep thru, hope I don't bust my keester!!!

Anyone care to take a shot at Water Based Epoxies vs. Solid Epoxies??

The TRACKMAN
Old 12-29-2003, 06:39 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I have used concrete stain, good epoxys, and water based epoxys. My choice is a commercial product by Tennant. You can get high gloss or satin and both are semi skid resistant and you will never wear out/chip or whatever in a hobby shop. May take 15 + years to start noticing any dammage in a commercial operation. Next choice wiuld be any non water based epoxy, then water based epoxy and then concrete stain. My present 3 car garage has water based epoxy and there is some peeling after 6 years use. I used the same coating in my general workshop in the basement and it has no signs of wear after about 3 years of use. None of these surfaces are any more slick than a well sealed, good finished concrete surface.

Trees
Old 12-29-2003, 06:51 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I work in a plant that does flexo printing. I have used alcohol based ink to paint my concrete floor. It sinks into the concrete and can't be scraped off. It fades out after a year or so.

Budget RVs

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.