painting around fender welt - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2005, 02:34 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

painting around fender welt

Looking for advice regarding painting fender welting. I am redoing a 49 Ford coupe and there is a "bead" of fender welt ( I guess this is the right term) running the length of the seam between the Quarter Panel and the main body. I'm worried about primer/paint/clear buildup along this seam. I hate to tape it off until the final coat of primer/paint but I don't know what else to do for sure. I'm concerned about getting to much product in the seams and causing it to crack from shrinkage.

Thanks,
Jared

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2005, 02:38 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Usually, in these cases, the fenders are removed and painted separatly...........

If you want to paint them together, take them off and space them out a bit with washers, without the welting. paint them..and put the NEW welting in.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Proper way to handle that is loosen the joint and remove the welt and throw it away. There is inevitably rust build-up in that joint in a 50 year old car. Clean metal in the joint, neutralize the rust, paint getting the paint as deep into the joint as possible, then install new welt.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:20 PM
old car nut

Last photo:

Just a follow on. The way to install the welting is to notch the welting where the bolts go and slide it down over the bolts. Then tighten the bolts to pinch the welting.
Jan
Old 03-28-2005, 08:20 PM

Last photo:

Fender welting

I dont think that the fender welting he is talking about is removable much less the 1/4 panel. I believe that is a metal t strip that joins the 1/4 to the upper trunk side panels for (for lack of the proper wording).

The post refers to a 49 Ford coupe those 1/4's are welded on. 48's had fenders bolted on. If it would have read pick up I would agree about taking the welting out.

If you are restoring it then you need to keep the build up to a minumun and prior to painting try to fold up a piece of sand paper and try to get as much of the paper as you can under the metal welting sanded.

If you are customizing it grind off the metal welting and weld it up solid makes a much nicer looking job.

Keith Daleen
Sedalia, Mo.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:35 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys.

Keith you are correct, I am talking about the permanent kind of "welt", I guess maybe welt was the wrong word to use.

I have thought about removing it completely, but have currently talked myself out of it for a few reasons. One, Ive seen a number of cars done that way, and I've noticed they had a hard time getting the body line that is created by the weld to run straight and true, The strip kind of breaks it up. The other reason is if I ever find, or someone starts making, full quarters I would like to have the option of installing them. If the seam is welded solid it would not be fun at all to strip the quarter back off the car.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenry
Thanks guys.

Keith you are correct, I am talking about the permanent kind of "welt", I guess maybe welt was the wrong word to use.

I have thought about removing it completely, but have currently talked myself out of it for a few reasons. One, Ive seen a number of cars done that way, and I've noticed they had a hard time getting the body line that is created by the weld to run straight and true, The strip kind of breaks it up. The other reason is if I ever find, or someone starts making, full quarters I would like to have the option of installing them. If the seam is welded solid it would not be fun at all to strip the quarter back off the car.
Use chemical stripper, ice pick, straight edge razor and/or whatever you can find to clean out all of the existing paint from the cracks, before you prime and paint. The less paint there, the less chance of cracks.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.