Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Painting in attached garage - smell and ISO's
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2007, 12:38 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I'm forced to paint in my attached 2 car garage. My usual body shop gave me that old litany of "insurance regulations, blah, blah, blah...." - I think he's upset that I wont let him paint my car, but his guys are R&R production people and do so-so insurance jobs with mediocre painting skills. There is no rental paint booth and darn few independent body shops as most are connected to dealerships.

I have a big commercial exhaust fan, a supplied air system with a hood, bunny suits, nitrile gloves, head socks, shoe covers, no kids living here now, and currently no pets. My wife is going visiting a daughter in England in mid April for a week and I expect to paint until I'm done. As far as the house, I have several box fans that I'll set up in open windows - then leave for a cold one or three. The town ordinances don't say I can't paint and the neighbors all work days and live far enough away that any smells will be minor, if at all.

This was not the way I originally wanted to do this. My intent was to have someone else do the painting but when I started getting $10 to $15K estimates, I had to change direction. There was even an estimate of $6-8000 to just spray (using my paint) and wet sand/buff. No body work - just spray and buff my '31 Ford roadster .

I feel that the direction that I'm taking is reasonable and safe as any auto painting can be, I've learned a heckuva lot from you folks that I would never have known before and I'm probably not ever going to do this size project again. My equipment is all high mid level now, and I can only hope for the best