Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Painting in attached garage - smell and ISO's
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2007, 01:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Guys, not saying it cannot be done, and not saying you cannot do it safely in a home garage. It all depends on a lot of things like how close your neighbors are, city ordinances, and above all how far you go with protecting yourself (personal protection equipment and exhaust methods). This ain't lacquer were messing with, heck it ain't even enamel, this stuff is deadly.

The concern I had was with the clear spraying it in my garage. I had sprayed a fair amount of base in the garage, painting window moldings, dash board and such. When I applied the clear it was a different experience all together. The garage fogged up like an early morning fog. This was only painting small items. It became alarmingly clear to me that I could not linger for any more time than needed in that environment with a cartridge respirator. This is what convinced me I was fooling myself about doing the whole paint job at home. Now granted all I had for exhaust was a box fan. IMHO you cannot take enough safety precautions with these paints.

Be safe
Vince