Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - painting with base......rough finish?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 09:54 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

painting with base......rough finish?

hi i painted fopr my first time, a trunk, a hood and a front bumber on my 2000 mustang gt

i was not aware of the "little" things involved when painting so here is what i did

it was a nice day out, approx 65 degrees, i had a booth made in my garage (temporary one) i sprayed the base (DUPONT) with a HVLP gun, i KNOW i put it on to heavy, i did about 5 coats. The problem is the tempeture dropped the following 5 days in a row, so the drying has been a bit of a problem. But now that the paint is dry, the paint job looks a little rough. The paint appears to be very even, but rough, it dosnt look like orange peel, it looks like the paint has little tiny microdscopic splatters (convex, no concave like orange peel)all over the parts, but very consistantly (not just in some spots, the whole area) now i have procedded to wet sand the base very lightly with 1500 wet. WHen water is over the area it looks really smooth (hoping it looks like that with clear)

am i doing this right? what is the rough spots casued from? paint being on to heavy? or the tempature? combination of both?

its been 5 days since doing the base, waiting for the weather to warm up for the clear?

any thoughts on this or advice, thank you very much