Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - painting with base......rough finish?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgennings
i did a search, and came across the HUGE thread, stating don not sand base!

well im even more confused then before i read tha thread. can someone please just tell me what i should do next
I know it got confusing especially with all the name calling and pissing contests, Here it is in a nutshell, don't create a reason to need to sand it. You have, so now the "bestest" way to deal with it is to "lightly" sand it with 600 and reshoot the base, then clear within the window on the tech sheet.

If you have a lot of texture, and you sand it flat, you "could" have an adhesion problem. But if you sand the tops of the texture down but NOT flat you are probably going to be ok, at least that is all you can do at this point.

Remember, if you cut and buff the clear you can flatten out some of that texture. Of course if it is real bad you will see it thru the clear, but it will be flat and shiney.

It is real hard to "see" what kind of texture you are talking about. Your "very rough" could be my "little rough and doable".

Brian