Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - painting with base......rough finish?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 08:53 PM
Camaro RS 1972

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

painting with base......rough finish?

I donot have pics to show you, but here is what all my research turned up since I was in same situation as your self.

1. do NOT sand base.
2. Any light over spary can be covered with clear.
3. When painting the base keep a degrease rag and a tack cloth handy at all times. as you shoot take time to stop and retack un coated area before painting. You may put extra base coat on if no over spray I put one coat of base and sanded it with 800 then put second coat prior to clear as manufacturer and paint supply place and body shop recommended.
4. Suspend a box fan above car to blow over spray down and away helped me out tons. Use plastic to surround car leaving enough room to move and kep contaminants out.
5. Once the base is laid down use tack cloth to take off as much over spray particles as possible. I used a sheet of 2000 grit NO pressure and gently rubbed over the base where it felt a little too rough key point Leave no scuff marks just lift the small particles you can repaint if needed at this point.
6. wait 1.5 hours for flash time following recommendations by paint manufacturer tech sheets.
7. Lay the clear down. Be sure to follow the nozzle presssure recommmendations from manufacturer web site you may have to dig for them or write to them for recommendations. Taken from MartinSr who has been a great help to me reading his past comments regardless of the drama from post replies to his sections.
8. You need to treat the spray gun as though you are fine tuning a carbeurator to get proper atomization. I sacrificed several moving boxes and my trunk lid. Also clear is differnet than paint adequate lighting to see shiny spots track where you have been
9. lay the clear down so it is wet pay close attention and release spray nozzel at first sign of puddling. never let the gun rest while spraying.
The primer required 600 for first base coat according to tech sheets and second can be 800 to 1000 grit between coats of base.

this is offered as advice READ tech sheets. RTFM (Read the F$%'n Manual)

Also make sure base coat is compatible with primer and vice versa primer compatible with base coat.

I hope this helps... and happy painting