Painting car in garage in Texas and general paint questions. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010, 08:58 AM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Painting car in garage in Texas and general paint questions.

I plan to paint my car in my garage this May and have many questions. This will be my first paint job.

I've searched, but don't know if I'm searching the correct terms or what, but I've found no answers. My question, is it legal to paint your car in your garage in Texas? I live in Cypress, TX to be exact. Harris County.

General questions for a first timer. I've bought a book, "How to Paint Your Car on a Budget", and have read many online "how to's", such as this...

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/24820/index.html

... and I have read a lot here too. I don't have access to a 60 gallon compressor, but my father does have a 33 gallon compressor I could use. If I were to paint the car, a VW Beetle, in sections, say the fenders, doors, hoods, and body, in separate sessions, will I be OK using the 33 gallon compressor?

HVLP gun cleaning between colors. How is this done? I've seen airbrush artist just put some cleaner in their cups and spray until it's clear. Enlighten me. Cleaning between primer and color sessions. What's the best way to clean the gun?

Overspray. I plan to put painters plastic drop clothes on the walls and plan to cover everything as well as possible. Should this be sufficient? What about overspray getting on the outside of my home? My home is only 6 months old so I don't want to get overspray everywhere.

Ventilation. Will a 20" box fan with a filter blowing air in and another 20" fan blowing fumes out be sufficient? I just plan to set the garage door down on the fans so basically the garage door will be open 20". I also plan to wear a mask and to be fully clothed with long sleeves. Any thing else I should do?

Masking for 2 tone. Here's how I plan to paint the car. Hugger orange / black.

I only want the outside top half to be black, for summer heat reasons, and the entire inside will be the Hugger Orange. Should I paint the black first, mask off the black, and then paint the orange? What would be easiest masking wise?

What do you think about this quick rundown of my paint plan?

Surface wash car and wipe down with wax grease remover.
Rough it up / bare metal with 80-180 grit (paint isn't pealing).
Body work / filler / glaze compound until straight
Wipe down with wax grease remover / wipe with tack cloth
Epoxy primer
High build primer / build dust guide coat
Block / wet sand with 180-220 grit
Take care of high low spots with filler / glaze until straight
Seal with epoxy primer
Wet sand with 400-600
Surface wash car, wipe down with wax grease remover, tack cloth twice.
2 coats of SS color.
3 coats of clear
Wet sand and buff

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2010, 10:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Super Beetle
I plan to paint my car in my garage this May and have many questions. This will be my first paint job.

I've searched, but don't know if I'm searching the correct terms or what, but I've found no answers. My question, is it legal to paint your car in your garage in Texas? I live in Cypress, TX to be exact. Harris County.

General questions for a first timer. I've bought a book, "How to Paint Your Car on a Budget", and have read many online "how to's", such as this...

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/24820/index.html

... and I have read a lot here too. I don't have access to a 60 gallon compressor, but my father does have a 33 gallon compressor I could use. If I were to paint the car, a VW Beetle, in sections, say the fenders, doors, hoods, and body, in separate sessions, will I be OK using the 33 gallon compressor?

HVLP gun cleaning between colors. How is this done? I've seen airbrush artist just put some cleaner in their cups and spray until it's clear. Enlighten me. Cleaning between primer and color sessions. What's the best way to clean the gun?

Overspray. I plan to put painters plastic drop clothes on the walls and plan to cover everything as well as possible. Should this be sufficient? What about overspray getting on the outside of my home? My home is only 6 months old so I don't want to get overspray everywhere.

Ventilation. Will a 20" box fan with a filter blowing air in and another 20" fan blowing fumes out be sufficient? I just plan to set the garage door down on the fans so basically the garage door will be open 20". I also plan to wear a mask and to be fully clothed with long sleeves. Any thing else I should do?

Masking for 2 tone. Here's how I plan to paint the car. Hugger orange / black.

I only want the outside top half to be black, for summer heat reasons, and the entire inside will be the Hugger Orange. Should I paint the black first, mask off the black, and then paint the orange? What would be easiest masking wise?

What do you think about this quick rundown of my paint plan?

Surface wash car and wipe down with wax grease remover.
Rough it up / bare metal with 80-180 grit (paint isn't pealing).
Body work / filler / glaze compound until straight
Epoxy primer
High build primer / build dust guide coat
Block / wet sand with 180-220 grit
Take care of high low spots with filler / glaze until straight
Seal with epoxy primer
Wet sand with 400-600
Surface wash car, wipe down with wax grease remover, tack cloth twice.
2 coats of SS color.
3 coats of clear
Wet sand and buff

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Tips i would give you would be use a base coat - clear coat urethane paint everywhere as it tends to be more forgiving. Theres no benefit to clearing single stage.

Use the 60 GAL compressor and a good gun.

Use proper safety equipment and a good spray gun and you're all set.

Remember to be careful of your masking and to over mask for primer and under mask for paint. Primer travels further into jams and gaps than clear or base would.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko1080
Tips i would give you would be use a base coat - clear coat urethane paint everywhere as it tends to be more forgiving. Theres no benefit to clearing single stage.

Use the 60 GAL compressor and a good gun.

Use proper safety equipment and a good spray gun and you're all set.

Remember to be careful of your masking and to over mask for primer and under mask for paint. Primer travels further into jams and gaps than clear or base would.
Thanks for the reply and help.

I'll see what I can do about renting a 60 gal compressor.

Could you explain what is the proper safety equipment? I've never painted a car before and just want to be sure I have the correct safety equipment.

Could you elaborate on the under and over masking? I'm not quite sure what that means.

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2010, 03:54 PM

I would be very careful using a 20" fan blowing air into the garage. It is likely to kick up dust no matter how well you try to eliminate it.

Consider a light water spray on the floor before you spray to keep the dust down.

Your garage will equalize the air pressure with just a fan blowing out (and no fan blowing in) very quickly and continuously, especially if you have the garage door open 20". It is probably better to have more open space around the fan blowing out than less as the pressure will equalize and if there is only a small space for the volume of air to pass back into the garage it will pass through with more pressure increasing the probability of kicking up dust.

Consider using a story board. Fancy term for test the process using the same materials you plan on using on your car and use a part as close to the same thing as your car parts. I would do it at least a couple of weeks before you plan on doing the actual paint job. Gives you enough time to find a spray booth to rent if needed and still get the job done on time.

I have sprayed wood finishes in my garage and done some sand blasting there as well. I used wood lengths (1" x 2") with 6 mil plastic stapled (heavy duty staples through small pieces of cardboard) to hold the plastic on. Eye loops screwed to ceiling wood and hooks screwed to my wood lengths. Over lap the plastic. It worked well for spraying wood finishes. Not so good for sand blasting. I was cleaning sand particles for months.

I left the garage door open about 24" and sprayed toward the door whenever possible. The material settles on the floor because it is heavier than air. I had a 20" fan about two feet away from the garage door outside. It provided enough air movement to keep from working in a cloud and not enough that it was kicking up dust. I did most of the spraying about 6' from the garage door and didn't have an issue with residual finish on the outside of the garage.

Spraying it your self is a great way to save a couple of bucks but make sure you have the correct mask / filter system. You don't want to be telling a story years from now about how you saved a few bucks but are having lung issues. Just not worth it.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Last edited by CTKid34Ford3W; 04-29-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Im trying to have an idea!

Last photo:

Not Illegal to do in Texas.

After your high build primer, I do not see a reason for another coat of epoxy. The epoxy is there to seal the metal. When you use the box fans, it would be better to blow into the space than out of the space. It will keep the chemical and motor separate all the time. As for compressors, you could borrow a couple of the 33 gallon from your buddies and put them in line to work as one. Use one filter with air regulator and another regulator at the gun for fine tuning. I would use a separate gun for priming and paint, can be had a Harbor Freight. Yes cleaning between color is recommended. Running thinner thru it is fine, but you also want to take the tip out and make sure you did not miss anything.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Last photo:

Safety equipment: Modern BC/CC paints contain isocyanate's which are very bad for your system and lungs. Get a quality dual cartridge respirator with NEW organic vapor cartridges, I stress new cartridges because they will become saturated in a very short time with isocyanate's and when you start smelling paint through the respirator you have already inhaled a lot of isocyanate's. Isocyanate's can really give you major breathing problems if you inhale them and they catalyze in your lungs . Wear a full body paint suit or jeans with a long sleeve shirt, and rubber gloves, isocyanate's are also absorbed through bare skin, so try and have no bare skin showing.

Disclaimer: All organic vapor cartridges say they are not certified for isocyanate's, but new cartridges changed regularly will provide the best protection short of a full face breathing mask.

Vince
Old 04-30-2010, 11:21 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm all about safety first which is why I was thinking the two fans were a good idea. One to blow in fresh air on one side while the other blows out fumes on the other side. I planned to use my box fan with the filter for the fan blowing in. If it were to kick up a little dust, no biggie cause I plan to cut and buff. I just want to complete the job as healthy as I was before I started it. I guess whether the fans blow in and out is subjective just like whether or not to wet down the floor or keep it dry...?

I wasn't quite sure if I need to breakdown the whole gun or if shooting out thinner was fine until it was clear. I'll do both, shoot thinner and clean the tip.

That makes since. I'll just spray one coat of Epoxy.

302 Z28 Could you send me a link to the type of respirator you're talking about? I don't mind spending the money for a good one, although I am on a budget. I just want to paint the car myself cause I've done everything on my build, except the tranny, although I did tear it down completely and took it to have it put back together.

Also, I bought a similar hvlp gun like the one 302 Z28 used to spray his rod. The HB cheapy. It has a 1.4 tip. All the paints (epoxy, primer, color, clear) I bought require either a 1.2 - 1.4 or 1.4 - 1.8, if I recall correctly. Shouldn't I be able to use the one gun to do the whole job? Just clean it thoroughly between after each spray session...?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Last photo:

This is the half mask respirator I used with the P100 organic vapor cartridges. Change them regularly you cannot be too safe with this stuff. I would use a fresh pair when you start to spray the clear.

Vince
Old 04-30-2010, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
This is the half mask respirator I used with the P100 organic vapor cartridges. Change them regularly you cannot be too safe with this stuff. I would use a fresh pair when you start to spray the clear.

Vince
Thanks Vince. I believe I have seen the 7500 series at the local hardware store. I'll pick one up and about 2 pair of P100 filters.

Thanks again,

Matt

Last edited by V8 Super Beetle; 04-30-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Im trying to have an idea!

Last photo:

if you have fans blowing into the space, air will be shoved out along with any contaminates. If you have a fan on one end and the other you run the chance of different air pressures which will cause turbulence and swirling in the room. Blow in or blow out, I would not recommend doing both (but I do recommend blowing in)
Guess as long as your able to shoot out of the gun with recommend tips all will be well. Having one for the thicker stuff and one for the thinner stuff is a luxury.
Also would not we the floor before shooting.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Last photo:

Just another safety tip: The box fans you will be using probably have induction motors and as such are not a concern as far as explosion. The switch that turns them on or off is however as each time it operates it creates a spark. Leave them on until you are finished painting. With just about any ventilation at all you will be far below the explosive limit.

Also do not use those cheap blue $0.99 air filters, they will not stop anything. Spend a little on some decent 3M filters.

Vince
Old 04-30-2010, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGM
If you have a fan on one end and the other you run the chance of different air pressures which will cause turbulence and swirling in the room.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Just another safety tip: The box fans you will be using probably have induction motors and as such are not a concern as far as explosion. The switch that turns them on or off is however as each time it operates it creates a spark. Leave them on until you are finished painting. With just about any ventilation at all you will be far below the explosive limit.

Also do not use those cheap blue $0.99 air filters, they will not stop anything. Spend a little on some decent 3M filters.

Vince
Thanks for bringing that up. I wouldn't necessarily thought of that. I do have a water heater in the garage. What safety steps should I take with it? Turn off gas and power to it? Then wait a while before turning it back on after spraying?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Last photo:

By all means turn the gas off if it's a gas water heater.

Vince
Old 05-31-2013, 03:23 PM

Hello, superbettle

Mr. VW

I also love in cypress, Texas and like to talk to you regarding painting a car.

I'm off 290 near barker cypress. My email is greenmallard64@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Joseph

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.