painting in the cold.... heaters??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 09:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

painting in the cold.... heaters???

hey i have to finish painting up my doors and some panels but its freezing and i dont have an enclosed shop its just a grage with a temp door on it. can i put a propane heater in it and heat up the grage and let the metal warm up and turn them off and right when im done fire up the propane heater again and let the paint cure for awhile??? will i blow up??? I know paint is fumeable but is overspray??? i would like to know b4 i actually try just for some insurance that i aint going to blow my self up or anything like that.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2007, 12:15 AM

I have used propane heaters to warm the metal and the work area to paint in cold weather. i used a couple of 350,000 btu propane heaters, (the ones that look like jet engines) and they had to run for 3 hours to get everything warmed up enough when it was around 40-45 degrees out. the trick is to warm the area AND the metal, so that it retains enough heat to dry the paint. NO, you cannot re-light the heaters after you paint. paint dries by evaporation of solvents, spraying the paint mixes the paint and it's solvents with air and atomizes it making a very explosive mixture. the solvents coming out of the paint in the first few hours after spraying can keep it too dangerous to re-light the heaters. I'm not sure how cold it is there, or exactly what your structure is, (here a garage has a door, a carport is open on one or more sides)
it sounds like maybe a 3 sided carport with a tarp door? you may not be able to get it warm enough to paint. also, do NOT use kerosene heaters, they have oil residue in the heated air, which can cause fisheyes in your paint. Doug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2007, 07:08 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Many prior posts/threads on this issue. Use the "search" function near the top of the page.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.