Hot Rod Forum banner

Painting crash helmets info please

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  bracketeer 
#1 ·
Hi all

I was just wondering if there was any law on painting helmets or is there only certain types of helmet that can be painted?

I prepped 3 on Saturday, one was pre painted from manufacture but the other 2 were just colour impregnated & had no spray paint on them.

Any info would be greatly appreciated :D

#2 ·
I have never heard of any kind of "law". There are however warnings from the helmet manufacturer that is usually on the helmet. This is to cover their ars, plain and simple. If you paint their helmet and the user dies from a result of the helmet failing, the manufacturer is off the hook. You have "modified" the helmet, it was not used as per the manufacturers recommendations.

That is the only reference to a "law" in regard to painting a helmet that I have ever seen.

Brian

#3 ·
painting crash helmets.

I understand the problem is chemical. Certain paints, solvents etc. can have an effect on the helmets composition and weaken it's integrity. In some organizations that have strict helmet requirements, painting can "decertify" your helmet. Maybe that's the "law" being refered to. Helmets can be safely painted, but it's a science. Get professional help.

#5 ·
Race rules

Some sanctioning bodies get a wee bit stuffy about that..so check first..For example if someone gets mad and throws his helmet in SCCA you just bought a new one as the one that was thrown is considered damaged and unusable. Painting or modifying any safety related gear is frowned upon in some areas..

Is it fair..well maybe not but that is the rules..

So do a bit of checking..

OMT

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
not sure about the legal aspect of it but a quality helmet will be made of fiberglass, kevlar, carbon with either epoxy, vinyl ester or polyester resin of some sort and i can tell you no way in hell is paint going to break down the integrity if the resins or cloth and especially psa adhesive from a sticker. bracketeer...this is another example of the govermant bulls***ing you into getting their way. fiberglass is painted everyday. now if you have a cheap polycarbonate shell helmet then possibly but i highly doubt it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.