Painting Dilema (Bare Metal 4 4months) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2004, 08:27 AM
Eager and Willing to Learn

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Painting Dilema (Bare Metal 4 4months)

I hav ea 70 c10 that is in various stages, The front is stripped to bare metal except for the hood wich is just the beggining stages of primer (still has minor body work) The two fendes are straight metal. One door has lots of bare metal due to body work and filling trim holes. THe bed is in rough shape all around and doesnt matter as much to me, i have lots to go on it. THe top of the cab, is basically bare metal, I had to repair hail damage and i shaved my drip rail. THe drip rail is still in the works so lots of freshly welded stuff still not even ground down all the way. My question is, i am leaving for school in about a week, and i need to get somthing over all this metal because it will be 4 months (christmas) before i get to finish all that body work. Some will be done before then on weekend trips home, but the majority wont. What should i do to all that metal? I hate to think that i have to spray paint it and strip it all off again later. That took a long long time last time i did that. (It was original paint, and many coats of other stuff) I dont have enough time to prime it and seal it. Plus there is still a lot of bodywork to be done so i hate to waste the time to sand and get it pretty or to even shoot primer and sealant waste of time and money. Someone please tell me there is a better option

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2004, 12:36 PM
I'm lookin' to learn.

Last journal entry: Tear down begins
Last photo:

I'm not experienced at this bodywork stuff but from reading numerous posts on this site it looks like shooting something onto the metal would be your best option. If you're going to leave the metal open to the air for any period of time you're inviting oxidation in for dinner. You may still have bodywork to do but if you leave it exposed you'll be dealing with the surface rust again too.

I'm sure someone more experienced than myself will post here about this but from what I've read in many posts, sealing/priming will save you some grief.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:06 PM

70-

I'm in the same boat and here's what I did...

I've been sanding my 55 truck by hand..and I don't want to prime again either just to give protection so I spray the sheetmetals with POR 15. It dissolves microscopic rust but more importantly leaves the surface with either a phosphate or chromate (can't remember) rust preventative. I did this 1.5 years ago and it still looks like the day I stripped the paint...Please note... it has been garaged!

I believe the directions call to rinse after applying..but I didn't knowing I wouldn't be painting for some time..just towel dried the excess.

Should be a number of posts here about POR15...It worked for me

Good luck,

Keith
Old 08-17-2004, 01:13 PM
Eager and Willing to Learn

Last photo:

yeah i have used ospho a smiliar product, problem is I have bondo on all panels in question. So that would just destroy all that i have done so far, which has taken me quite sometime. THanks for the suggestion though!
Old 08-25-2004, 07:26 AM

If its going to be in a garage leave it bare metal. I've have several body panels that are bare metal on my 65 Chevelle right now that have been since January. The only thing that might happen is a small amount of surface rust in a few small areas that will easily sand right off just before you prime.

I don't understand the recomendation to spray the panels with POR15 unless he meant with POR15 metal prep. Either way I would not do that. Theres no telling what kind of reaction you will get when you spray primer on top of that.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:02 AM

Good pickup GMW..I had the products confuses. I bought one of their products last year...It wasn't POR-15 it was Metal Ready or something like that.

Thanks for correcting that..Mine has sat for 1 and a half years , garaged with no further rusting..I'll keep it there till its all stripped
panels welded in and primered. I didn't mean to put it on any bondo.

Keith

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.