Hot Rod Forum banner

Painting an Engine

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  PrimeMover 
#1 ·
Ok I know that spray cans exist in multiple colors for painting an engine block, but what if I want to match the color of the vehicle? How do you go about using standard paint on something that will eventually get hot?

#2 ·
I paint mine (the few I don't powder coat!) in catalyzed base/clear coat urethane like I use on my car bodies and it holds up like a champ! Only place it may give you problems is on the intake manifold @ the exhaust x-over. MUCH better than any rattle can finish you can get and you can match the car exactly. As with any paint, the finish is as good as the preparation underneath but with the usual basic prep, you will get a ceramic coated-like finish.

#6 ·
Well, when I did my fire wall, I took my fender skirts down to Foster Paint and they computer matched my car color in Dupont Centaury (did I spell that right?) and put it in rattle cans.. I know you can't catylize rattle can paint but your motor will do a good job of baking it on. I think the stuff is available in a hi-heat paint also. Check with any saavy local automotive finish outfit. I think they'll have a better answer for you.

#7 ·
No you didn't spell it correctly, but I don't remember how it's spelled. All I know is it has an "I" in there somewhere. I painted my '56 chevy engine with 'DUPI-COLOR' Toyota gun metal gray for trucks and thats been over a year ago and it still looks like I never started up. So like someone above said it's mostly in the prep. Just make sure the motor is REALLY clean. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.