Painting the engine and heads... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 04:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Painting the engine and heads...

Are there any gotchas I should watch out for when painting the engine and heads?

What needs to be taped off and what can be painted?

Never painted an engine before and can't seem to find any guides.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Build it right the first time

Last photo:

Just put on an old oil pan, some old valve covers, an old timing cover, old spark plugs, and an old intake, all that you don't care about and just put them on without gaskets and paint to your heart content any paint that gets on the exhaust valves will burn off immediately so don't worry about that, then after done painting pull all the old stuff of f and put on your new stuff and vwall - aw!

hope this helps
Old 01-13-2007, 07:45 PM

Last photo:

Kool,

Never thought of that. It's so simple.

I have most of the stuff (no instake manifold) but should be able to tape that off no problem.

Thanks for the advice!

Dave
Old 01-14-2007, 10:05 AM

Painting the engine and heads...

Yeah That works on American v8's and in line 6 cyl etc. But Be aware that on Say Air cool Vw , Subaru, Corvair, and other motors related ? That there are Definate Guide lines, do's and dont's too Painting these Engines . Some of Basic's here ! Typically dont paint Aluminum Head's . Or any Aluminum Block Motors . I Said Typically ? On aluminum Motors? If you just have too ! Use only Non VHT type Paint , and Black Primer is Preferd . I personally never paint any Aluminum componants . Not Even my Timming chain Covers on V8's . But Speaking From Raceing Or Vw Aspect of things <<< Most of my Experience being the Air Cooled Vw . I can Tell you this . On Vw 's the People doing them Found that Flat black Primer paint used on say valve covers , engine tinn oil plate cover on both oil pump's and oil screen covers as well as a thin coat on cylinders , rann considerably cooler . As in So much cooler it is now considerd too be an Industry standard . Seem's that Non VHT type primer paints Allow the Pourous Aluminum, Steel too Breathe therefore Dissipitateing Heat at almost twice the rate of engines painted with VHT sealing type Paint's. Only Problem with this is that Primer typically Rust thru the surface . On Aluminum Cases or Block's tho it is not near as much of a Problem . But Point being here ! Just thought I would Explain that VHT type paints create a seal that keep's metal from oxidizeing and or rusting but also seal,s metal from being able too breath/ AKA dissipitate heat . On H20 V8 and Inline 6 Cyl This isnt really a Concern Unless your Dragg racing or Runnin Nascar But Urge you too Consider , when painting engine componants etc That You Realize Engine Enamel's are, typically of a VHT sealing type paint . Meaning Would I use Engine Enamel or Barbeque paint on a V8 Header ? No I wouldnt . Flat black Primer Yes I would . Alltho Ceramic Coated headers are Fast growing too be the Norm . << Expensive and like Flatt black Primer are prone too Rust thru the finish . So for Future References just remember that not all Motors are V8's and or 6 Cylinders made in America . That Different types of Motors and Application's Can and do have there Differences, and Guide lines and that Some of these can be incorporated intoo What ever project your involved in . As long as your aware of them ? Just thought I would point it out . Sean
Old 01-16-2007, 05:54 AM

Last photo:

thanks...

Thanks for the info. This is a 351W American V8.

Dave

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.