painting fender welt - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 10:43 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

painting fender welt

My 36 Buick is getting closer to the paint stage and I got thinking about painting and fender welt. I did a search on this but didn't come up with much. One post said loosen the fenders off, remove old welt, paint and install new welt. My question is this. Is fender welt not supposed to be painted?? In a perfect situation, I think fenders should be removed and painted separate from the body. But what about the fender welt? does it get painted separate to? If so will the paint not crack when welt is put on? Thanks for your help/suggestions

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 10:50 AM

You will probably not be happy with painted fender welt. Invariably the paint will separate and flake off the welting leaving a kind of funky look!
Factory cars came with black welting or a stainless beaded welting.
If you want to use beaded welting, check around and you'll find beaded neoprene welting from VW parts suppliers in various colors. Maybe one will be complementary or even match your paint. Another option is to make up your own welting from a vinyl that is complementary or matching your paint color. An upholstery shop can sew up a batch for you at a nominal cost.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:54 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldbuick
My 36 Buick is getting closer to the paint stage and I got thinking about painting and fender welt. I did a search on this but didn't come up with much. One post said loosen the fenders off, remove old welt, paint and install new welt. My question is this. Is fender welt not supposed to be painted?? In a perfect situation, I think fenders should be removed and painted separate from the body. But what about the fender welt? does it get painted separate to? If so will the paint not crack when welt is put on? Thanks for your help/suggestions
An outfit called Wilk-Bilt sells color coordinated welting - you send them a paint sample and they will match it.

http://www.wilkbilt.com/fender%20welt.htm

I've heard of people painting it but IMO the paint would crack fairly quickly and look .......

Dave

Last edited by Irelands child; 01-30-2007 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Fix an oops
Old 01-30-2007, 11:46 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the link Irelands Child. I agree with the comments above about painted welting cracking and chipping but I've never seen anything but. Not that I've been looking. We're going to paint the car a intense blue and SHMBO seems to think black welting would look ok I'm still unsure. If the proper thing to do is not paint them, why are so many painted?
Old 01-30-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldbuick
If the proper thing to do is not paint them, why are so many painted?
It's all a matter of where you want to be with your car - if folks even have welting on their cars. Often its colored to coordinate with the car color so as to not stand out like a sore thumb. Another alternative and the way I'm going with my '31 A roadster is to not use any at all - and I have a brand new roll of black stuff that I'll probably sell at a (small?) loss a swap meet.
Dave
Old 08-06-2014, 09:33 PM

Last photo:

I have the same question about fender welting. You say that you are not going to use any at all. What are you going to do? Nothing as in Nada? Or Are you going to use a good "seam sealer" type of material. like one of the "Lord Fuser" products?
Thanks for your reply,
Doug
Old 08-07-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotio View Post
I have the same question about fender welting. You say that you are not going to use any at all. What are you going to do? Nothing as in Nada? Or Are you going to use a good "seam sealer" type of material. like one of the "Lord Fuser" products?
Thanks for your reply,
Doug
OMG but that's an oldie (2007 and I'm still here and the car is long done)

I didn't use any welting but found a nice slick, very thin material at McMaster-Carr to use as anti squeak which is really one of the jobs for welting. No bubbles of welting sticking out like a sore thumb:

I couldn't find that material listing there now, but a better search there would find it or something similar McMaster-Carr
Old 08-07-2014, 11:48 AM

Last photo:

Thank you so much for your advise.
That is a very nice car and I am a "yellow" kinda guy
The fiberglass fenders on my 1989 dodge dually are very strong and mounted very securely, they are the rear of my D-350. In 1989 they did not have the range of sealer products that they have today. I don't see why I can't do as you did and/or use one of the new Lord Fuser or 3M type products that perhaps does not get "rock hard".
Do you think that would work? I really respect what you have to say.
Again that is a gorgeous car obviously you do excellent work.
Thanks,
Doug

Last edited by dougotio; 08-07-2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: added onformation
Old 08-07-2014, 03:07 PM

Last journal entry: 1939 Chevy Master Deluxe New Project(3)
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
OMG but that's an oldie (2007 and I'm still here and the car is long done)

I didn't use any welting but found a nice slick, very thin material at McMaster-Carr to use as anti squeak which is really one of the jobs for welting. No bubbles of welting sticking out like a sore thumb:

I couldn't find that material listing there now, but a better search there would find it or something similar McMaster-Carr
Yea, I'm interested in that stuff also. Do you recall the name or what you searched for? Probably use it if it works.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:51 AM

I just spent some time again looking on the McMaster Carr site and really can't find what I used. Just wander through their on-line catalog. There are a bunch of tapes that could work well. Be aware that some of it is really expensive. As far as shipping - they charge only their commercial UPS rate.

Now, seam sealer - a Lord Fusor or a 3m non hardening type seam sealer should work just fine on a dually plastic rear fender to bed. Just don't put so much on that it wont easily compress or ooze out. Another product that will work is butyl sealing tape. I buy rolls for our RV at a local RV supply for about $12. It works very nicely and bends easily to conform.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
I just spent some time again looking on the McMaster Carr site and really can't find what I used. Just wander through their on-line catalog. There are a bunch of tapes that could work well. Be aware that some of it is really expensive. As far as shipping - they charge only their commercial UPS rate.

Now, seam sealer - a Lord Fusor or a 3m non hardening type seam sealer should work just fine on a dually plastic rear fender to bed. Just don't put so much on that it wont easily compress or ooze out. Another product that will work is butyl sealing tape. I buy rolls for our RV at a local RV supply for about $12. It works very nicely and bends easily to conform.
THANKS for the reply. I'm looking at a product for my 39 Chevy project. I assume that the product has to be non hardening, correct?
Old 08-08-2014, 10:13 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Thank you again for the advise. I will look at the "butyl sealing tape".
I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge with others.
This is my first auto-body project ever. I am making a video record of the project to hopefully inspire my Son & Grandsons. Maybe if I am blessed they will ask Grampa to help them fix up there cars. My Grandsons have good a work ethic but they each need direction & I hope to help them along their way.
Thanks again,
Doug

Last edited by dougotio; 08-08-2014 at 10:18 AM. Reason: add more information
Old 08-08-2014, 11:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotio View Post
Thank you again for the advise. I will look at the "butyl sealing tape".
I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge with others.
This is my first auto-body project ever. I am making a video record of the project to hopefully inspire my Son & Grandsons. Maybe if I am blessed they will ask Grampa to help them fix up there cars. My Grandsons have good a work ethic but they each need direction & I hope to help them along their way.
Thanks again,
Doug
Sorry Doug, didn't mean to hijack ur thread
Old 08-08-2014, 02:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Sorry Doug, didn't mean to hijack ur thread
Hey Trophy man,
No problem..You did not hijack the thread. we are here to share thoughts.
I am new to the forums and not sure how they work.
Good luck on your project(s).
Doug
Old 08-08-2014, 05:03 PM

Guys - a hijack is sometimes fun and often with the wandering, even more info comes out - then occasionally ---- it is just fun.

Yep, non hardening. 3m has one, a semi liquid, in a can that gets really hard and what I used to put the floorboards in my '31 - and they are not gonna come out without some real work, i.e a gas wrench (acetylene torch).

If you are doing it with your kids and grandchildren, congratulations, I hope it 'sticks'. My son, even after helping and watching me for years, probably needs an instruction book to change a light bulb. And my 2 of my 3 boy grandchildren - jocks, the third, a book worm. The other 7 are of the female persuasion and wont dirty their hands Oh well, it is what it is!!!!!!!!!!

Dave W
dougotio (08-08-2014)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.