painting flames - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2005, 09:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

painting flames

after i lay down the base coat do i need to ultra fine sand the panel before i layout the flames?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2005, 04:37 AM

Last photo:

no, you dont need to sand the base before laying out flames. base isn't like clear or primer, you can lay one layer over the next without sanding. if the base has sat for a long time, maybe 3-4 days or more than you might want to mask for the flames then run a scotchbrite over the taped off area but thats it. best thing to do is base out the whole panel, let sit for an hour or two then mask and spray flames.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:49 PM

If your doing a high dollar jobber, you might want to think about interclear then the flames.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:15 PM

Last photo:

If I do a complete repaint that's going to have flames I'll usually start by applying the borderstripe if it's going to have one, then mask that off and paint the inside of the flame area letting the overspray go out past the border then mask the flames off completely, then shoot the main color on the car, then shadow the flames while they are masked then unmask the whole thing and apply the clear. This way saves a lot of masking and ends up being a cleaner job. If I had the talent to brush the border in then I'd probably do it the traditional way. I agree on the intercoat clear, sure makes it a lot easier to keep clean between steps.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:38 AM

painting flames

the flames i'm painting are solid red and with yellow tips no border line.you guys answered my first question.Now my second question is will it hurt if i sand with 1000 girt after painting the base just to get out the little pieces of dirt or whatever may be in the paint.Should i spray a white paint base after i mask off flames so the red covers easy or just shoot the red? I'm using a ppg 1999 ford red and a medium yellow for the tips?
Old 12-17-2005, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

if you need to sand out any little specs it is ok and wont really matter since its a solid color. normal procedure would be to sand out the dust nibs then spray another coat or two. the is absolutely necessary with a metallic or pearl but not solids. as for the white, it will really matter what the base color is. some reds barely cover at all so if i am doing anything red i make sure it goes over a very light or white solid base.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:29 AM

Last photo:

I could not see if you posted what the base color of the car is going to be , if it is a dark color ,then painting a white base under the red would not be good because once you pull your tape there will be a very fine white line around the edge of your flame , basically the mil. thickness of the white.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:02 AM

Last photo:

One other thing about intercoat clears...if you lay a light coat on before you start (even before the white) it helps seal off minor "leaks" that can occur from taping. The cleanup of the flames before the clear coat is easier that way.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.