Hot Rod Forum banner

painting flexable bumpers?

947 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  mitmaks 
#1 ·
I bought my girl a trunk fin for her mustang and want to paint it seams sorta straight forward for the fiberglass. BUT I also want to repaint the flexable bumpers can I use the same paint 2stage for the paint code for the bumper. do you need a differant flexable primer? Paint? any help appreciated. Ed

#3 ·
Why does the bumper need to be prepainted? If there is some work do be done on it that needs coarse sanding than yes you will need to apply a flexable primer. HOWEVER, you do not need to prime the whole thing, only the damaged area. If the bumper is being repainted because of some scratches or something like that, you could likely sand them out and then repaint the bumper without priming at all as long as you didn't get down into the "rubber" of the bumper.

Just sanding paint on a bumper and repainting doesn't make a need for primer.

Brian

#4 ·
redfeathered

I try to never sand with anything less than 320 paper on any plastic or bumper covers. if you sand with 80 it will be in the black plastic and will requires some primer. also the 320 or 400 makes it pretty smooth and i can just paint over that after I sand it down and put some body putty in the scratches or dings. have also put a patch behind a few tears with pop rivets, then just bondo over it a few coats on some junker wrecks i have repaired and painted. not saying this is the best way to do it, but none of these cars was worth the price of the paint and body work. bought them as salvage title cars and my 3 boys and wife all drive one like that. just fixed her a 89 Camry that needed a good paint job and a wheel bearing replaced. got car for $400, spent maybe $50 on the clear coat, and $32 on bearing, already had the paint sitting around. she drove it a week and sold it for $2500. of course she kept all the money and wants me to fix her another car to sell. somehow that math don't work out for me, but she was very happy with the deal.

#6 ·
If you are shooting it bc/cc you certainly don't want to add any flex additive to the base (or anything else for that matter, other than a hardener). And that goes for the clear as well. I don't know of a modern clear that still would require a flex additive.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.