Hot Rod Forum banner

painting frame/under body help

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  freethinker52 
#1 ·
Found this forum looking for help on painting my frame rails and undercoating the body of my truck. I already spend days and days de-greasing sanding/wire brushing and preping everything. I ended up getting a gallon of rust bullet for cheap and tried to brush on the first coat last night. It took me forever and despite my best efforts to keep the coat thin it bubbled from off gasing anywhere i was too thick. I really don't care how it looks at this point i just need this project done and hope it offers a little protection.

I really want to find a way to spray the rest as it calls for two coats and i'm less the 1/3 of the way done w/ the first. i have a conventional suction spray gun but a very small compressor (1hp 5gal 3.5cfm at 90psi) and it can't keep up. the other problem is i don't have the time and money for 50ft of copper pipe and a water filter to build a dryer. I found somewhere to rent a compressor but still need a dryer. also, i can't spray upside down unless i figure out how to add a hose and make the pot remote. i would even consider buying a cheap disposable hplv gun from grizzly but i can't find the cup bags to make it work upside down. What would you guys do?

#2 ·
bradler said:
Found this forum looking for help on painting my frame rails and undercoating the body of my truck. I already spend days and days de-greasing sanding/wire brushing and preping everything. I ended up getting a gallon of rust bullet for cheap and tried to brush on the first coat last night. It took me forever and despite my best efforts to keep the coat thin it bubbled from off gasing anywhere i was too thick. I really don't care how it looks at this point i just need this project done and hope it offers a little protection.

I really want to find a way to spray the rest as it calls for two coats and i'm less the 1/3 of the way done w/ the first. i have a conventional suction spray gun but a very small compressor (1hp 5gal 3.5cfm at 90psi) and it can't keep up. the other problem is i don't have the time and money for 50ft of copper pipe and a water filter to build a dryer. I found somewhere to rent a compressor but still need a dryer. also, i can't spray upside down unless i figure out how to add a hose and make the pot remote. i would even consider buying a cheap disposable hplv gun from grizzly but i can't find the cup bags to make it work upside down. What would you guys do?
how thick is it. i wonder if one of those wagner electric airless paint sprayers from home depot would spray it?

#3 ·
You can get a nozzle for auto paint for the Wagner airless units. It had a slit instead of a hole. I bought one to paint a car (I know, I know) a long time ago. Expensive though, I think I paid close to $100 for it. Problem would be they have the same suction cup style, unless you can get one with a hose pick-up. You could rent an airless. They have a pickup hose, but the hose is generally pretty long. Probably take a liter just to fill the hose. I've used them to paint fences :)

Actually the paint job came out pretty good for a beater. A few runs, but it was shiny at least.

#4 ·
crownver said:
You can get a nozzle for auto paint for the Wagner airless units. It had a slit instead of a hole. I bought one to paint a car (I know, I know) a long time ago. Expensive though, I think I paid close to $100 for it. Problem would be they have the same suction cup style, unless you can get one with a hose pick-up. You could rent an airless. They have a pickup hose, but the hose is generally pretty long. Probably take a liter just to fill the hose. I've used them to paint fences :)

Actually the paint job came out pretty good for a beater. A few runs, but it was shiny at least.
there are 2 kinds. the cup type airless that costs $29. there is also a "wagner paint crew" that is a true pressurized paint sprayer. i have one of those for painting houses. it will paint in any angle. i paid $99 for it.

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/portal/wagner_paint_crew_spray.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.