Painting... help getting started.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 09:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Painting... help getting started....

Ok so here goes...

This is going to be my first project, and hopefully is something I will continue for the rest of my life. I love doing anything work related with my hands. I am currently an ASE master technician, and have been working on cars for almost 12 years. The compressor I have for my home use seems that it would be more than adequate for any thing I need it to do. it is an ingersol 80 gallon verticle two stage, with another 80 gallon tank piggybacked. I need some help getting ideas on what to pick for a spraying outfit... there is just too much information to sift through, for someone who hasn't shot paint before. I am not sure what kind of filtering system is needed... they range on these is wide, and not sure what is NEEDED. I plan to use bulb filters at the gun as well. Was thinking about a digital pressure reg at the gun as well. I am leaning toward sata for a finishing gun... but not sure which model would be best. I am not sure what would be good for a primer gun as well. My first vehicle is going to be color changing from silver to black, and I want to be able to see myself in the paint clearly when I am done... kinda like the pics of the hood posted up in the "cloudy clear" post. I will take the time, and I am a perfectionist... Also what line of paint is going to be easy to spray, with the best end result...? I am not worried about the cost of the gun.. I will spend up to 800 if need be. I am sure the opinions on all of this are going to be a wide range... but any help is appreciated...

Thanks!
Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 05:31 AM

i own my own body shop and have done costom painting for 14 years if u have any questions about what to do or what to use please reply back there are very specific ways to paint a car or truck and the littlest misstake can ruin a paint job
Old 05-10-2011, 05:55 AM

hey raviaan ive sprayed with every gun out there and the best for me has been the ANEST IWATA LPH-400 with the orange spray tip it is by far the best all around paint gun u can buy and it only cost about $400 for the gun and the orange tip but do ur shoping some of them come with the crome tip witch is more of a high solids tip not a good fine finish tip. i also love shooting ppg base coat with a U-TECH clear coat. dont do what alot of people do just because its cheaper dosent mean its not as good. also make sure that u use a primer with a hardener in it i like nason 2-k primer and very important to use a sealer before u start to paint once agian i use a nason sealer and to help with durability use alittel of the primer hardener in ur sealer about 1 part to every 8 parts sealer i hope this helps if u have anything else u need to know just ask
Old 05-10-2011, 06:45 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviaan
Ok so here goes...

This is going to be my first project, and hopefully is something I will continue for the rest of my life. I love doing anything work related with my hands. I am currently an ASE master technician, and have been working on cars for almost 12 years. The compressor I have for my home use seems that it would be more than adequate for any thing I need it to do. it is an ingersol 80 gallon verticle two stage, with another 80 gallon tank piggybacked. I need some help getting ideas on what to pick for a spraying outfit... there is just too much information to sift through, for someone who hasn't shot paint before. I am not sure what kind of filtering system is needed... they range on these is wide, and not sure what is NEEDED. I plan to use bulb filters at the gun as well. Was thinking about a digital pressure reg at the gun as well. I am leaning toward sata for a finishing gun... but not sure which model would be best. I am not sure what would be good for a primer gun as well. My first vehicle is going to be color changing from silver to black, and I want to be able to see myself in the paint clearly when I am done... kinda like the pics of the hood posted up in the "cloudy clear" post. I will take the time, and I am a perfectionist... Also what line of paint is going to be easy to spray, with the best end result...? I am not worried about the cost of the gun.. I will spend up to 800 if need be. I am sure the opinions on all of this are going to be a wide range... but any help is appreciated...

Thanks!
Ray
It sounds like you should read this:
http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com...ct%20paint.htm. it will get you the results you want.

I suggest using SPI epoxy, 2k primer and Universal clear and PPG or ProSpray base. Barry @ SPI provides the best customer service in the industry.
No local distributor for SPI, no problem. Call SPI for same day FREE shipping to your address.

Sata is a great gun, so is Iwata. Either one will be awesome, just a matter of learning to use it.

Have fun, post pictures!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.