Hot Rod Forum banner

Painting of inner fenders etc?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  willys36@aol.com 
#1 ·
I am going to install new fenders on my 87 Chev P/U. Should I use a different paint on the inside of the fenders where all the moisture seems to collect? (mine are rotten on the inside bottom edge behind the front wheels)
I'm also wondering if fixing up dented OEM fenders is still better than ill fitting aftermarket units?

#3 ·
The fender question answer depends on the body working skill of the person working on the car.. I prefer fixing the original fender if it can be done correctly. Sometimes I wonder if the guy who designed a lot of the aftermkt sheet metal, actually ever saw the complete original car that his parts are supposed to fit!

#4 ·
Here comes my broken record. I powder coat fender wells. That is a permanent fix for just about anything you can throw at them.

And I agree with Bob - there is no after-market sheet metal that can compare with even rough factory originals. And good '87 Chevy body parts should be plentiful in junk yards now. This is about the time that all the poorly maintained engines of that era will begin blowing which pretty much totals out a 15 year old car.

#8 ·
Paint OVER Powder

Willy, what if I powder coat the entire fender and then scuff and paint the top, will the paint adhere correctly?

I am just at the sand blaster this evening. I should finish all my fenders tonight and I want to have the undersides coated. But why not do the whole thing and then paint the tops?

hr41pearl :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.