painting inside the cab - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 04:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

painting inside the cab

HI,
I am thinking about painting the interier of my truck and dont know exactly where to start as i have never done any car painting or bodywork. The paint job thats on there now is a cheap miracle job from 15 years or so ago and is painted everywhere! I was wondering if i can just sand the surface and repaint it or if i should go down farther? Also, does it really matter if i use spray paint since it wont have the extremes that an exterior would have?

Thanks,
david

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

I'm not much of a painter but i am working at a body shop part time and know that a good finish is all in the prep work! I would suggest taking off as many parts as you can to paint them off of the car like dash, pillar, mouldings, and such to get better access to them. Masking off is very important and so is the prep. I would definitely sand and finish off with a red scotch bright and wipe down with wax and grease remover before paint. I would say that a can would work fine for a novice but buy quality paint made for the part that you are painting. Paint for metal is going to be different than paint for vinyl or for plastic. Also try practicing on somthing that can be trashed later to get the spray pattern down like feathering, and edges and such. Follow the can's direction, some will say a few light coats, others will say 2 medium coats. Good luck and also get some paint thinner in case you make a mistake, put some on a rag and you can wipe it off pretty easy like off of glass and chrome.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:45 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: Try again
Last photo:

prep is the key, he is correct
take your time, do a good job
and you can do some decent work with a spray-can
just buy an extra can and practice a little,before you start, so you know what expect
Old 12-09-2010, 10:17 PM

Last photo:

X3. Prep is important. If you don't know what you have, get to the bottom of it. At least sand off the top coat to get to the original paint. If the original paint is still adhering well talk to your local paint shop. They should be able to help you out. Then use the primer-sealer recommended for your paint manufacturer. You will do best to stay consistent with your paint manufacture. Follow their recommendations for the best results. If you are a doing a total repaint of the whole truck, why don't you just use the same paint inside the cab as you are using outside. It'll match. You will get a better job with a gun than with a spray bomb.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:16 AM

Last photo:

You should be fine just sanding with 400, and then 600 if the paint is metallic. The only time you really need to strip or sand past layers is if the paint is cracking or showing signs that it isn't holding up. If it's a cheap paint on there, the good news is it won't be hard to sand most of it off. Wet sand the last time through as long as you don't have a lot of bare metal. Use a wax & grease remover, then use a tack rag and you're ready.

Last edited by TNshadetree; 12-10-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:02 PM

Last photo:

Painting the inside of a cab is no easy project. It requires more prep than just sanding. It involves numerous cleaning and vacuuming at just about every stage during the process. It was hard enough in the old days when using a suction cup spray gun. The HLVP guns of today make it even more of a challenge with the cup mounted above the gun when painting roof interiors and other areas.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:28 PM

Last photo:

thanks for all the info. So sand, clean, seal, paint right? Is rustoleum self etching primer good to use? The main thing im confused on is how far down to sand. There is orange paint underneath the first layer of paint and to me it looks in great shape. Its never going to be a show car or anything but i would like to do it right and make it look good.

thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveid
thanks for all the info. So sand, clean, seal, paint right? Is rustoleum self etching primer good to use? The main thing im confused on is how far down to sand. There is orange paint underneath the first layer of paint and to me it looks in great shape. Its never going to be a show car or anything but i would like to do it right and make it look good.

thanks
If you are going to do all that work, Why do you want to use an inferior product? Use the same products you intent to use on the exterior.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:16 PM

Last photo:

well i dont know if and when ill ever get to the interior. I dont have a spray gun and never have used one. I do have an air compressor but i keep looking at paint prices for primer and paint that you would spray for a gun and it looks like the spray paint is pennies on the dollar. Am i just looking in the wrong places for paint?

thanks
david
Old 12-12-2010, 04:40 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: Try again
Last photo:

you can do a good job with spray cans, just buy the good cans with the tip that you can swivel 90 degrees and practice first.
they make some pretty cool colors in the rattling, self contained, cordless applicators.
or you can go to the auto-body paint store and they can put any paint you want into spray cans, but that will cost alot more than some krylon.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:31 PM

Last photo:

I say just give it a shot! That's how gearheads are born, by just being curious and giving things a try. First thing I ever changed was a starter on my car and I didn't even know what it was! Someone told me it was the starter and I went to the parts store and bought one. I knew it was on the engine somewhere underneath, so I jacked up the car and looked for it. I figured out how to take it down and kept track of the wires and bam, I fixed my first car! I have since lost count how many starters I've replaced on my cars and friends/family's. Just follow everyones advice on here and give it a shot. Next time you do it you will know what works and what doesn't. Good thing is a painting project will still allow you to drive your car while you work. GO FOR IT!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveid
well i dont know if and when ill ever get to the interior. I dont have a spray gun and never have used one. I do have an air compressor but i keep looking at paint prices for primer and paint that you would spray for a gun and it looks like the spray paint is pennies on the dollar. Am i just looking in the wrong places for paint?

thanks
david
David,
I wasn't clear that you didn't have any equipment. That said, as matts37chev said, you can do it with spray cans, but in the long run, you'd save money by buying the stuff you need. SEM makes some good spray bomb stuff, and you should be available to get it locally. If you do an internet search, there are a number of vendors who offer a good product fairly inexpensively. You could even start with a Harbor Freight HVLP gun to start. (Wouldn't be my first choice, but would be better than rustoleum). Can you borrow the stuff you need? Good luck
Old 12-13-2010, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

no, i acually dont know anybody that does body work. I heard that there is a local shop that is suppose to be pretty helpful which would be great so ill have to check it out. It seems now a days everyone trys to charge you or make you have them do the work to even get any info.

Thanks,
David

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.