Hot Rod Forum banner

Painting Interior trim

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Hot Rod Up 
#1 ·
I have been having a very difficult time finding Tan colored interior plastic Molding for my 76 Monte Carlo. I have been able to find dark color molding and have a question about painting the parts.

When you are painting Dark interior plastic parts should I use a primer ? I will be spray painting all the interior plastic pieces so the sun faded and dark replacement pieces match. Thanks for the help.

Joe

#2 ·
Joe, are the peices metal or are they plastic? If they are metal yes, by all means use primer. If they are plastic DON'T use paint, use interior dye for the plastic peices. Some paints will never dry and some will leave your interior smelling like paint no matter what you do. Go buy some interior dye and follow the directions.

HK

#8 ·
Dash and garnish painting, (leather look) :

You can go to your local auto paint or upholstery supply store and get the cans of SEM vinyl and plastic spray paint ( The color you want to do the interior with ) and paint the dash and garnish moldings with this ( you can also have it mixed ). " It works great." Then the upholster can match the leather to the dash and garnish moldings. This way the dash and moldings look just like the leather, clean and neat!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.