Painting Metal Bumpers? Your tips, tricks, advice, experience. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Socket Breaker

Last journal entry: My website for my '65 chevy c10 lwb step
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Painting Metal Bumpers? Your tips, tricks, advice, experience.

Hiya folks.

This post is about painting metal bumpers. I know this isn't new, people have been painting the metal bumpers to match the body color.. forever.

I have noticed a few people have been doing other things to the bumpers in choices of colors or finishes. So, I thought I'd start a little thread in here and ask for advice on this.

Now, a pal of mine, he had a '68 Ford Fairlane 2dr... and when he got it the bumpers were all rusted up. So he sanded it down good, cleaned it up, shot it with some silver rattle can spray paint, then shot some rattle can clear over it(I think). His ride was a low buck street drag kinda ride and I always thought it looked really good, considerin' the amount of $$ and time he put into it.

I saw a '66ish Ford Fairlane at a car show a few years ago that was a deep orange, the bumpers had been painted with that 'hammered finish' paint. The deep gray with black specks... anyway I think it is called 'hammered or hammer finish'. I thought that looked really nice on that car also... and it was prolly much less than having it rechromed. Since that car was a custom ride anyway... it really worked well.

So, what ideas, techniques, tips, paints(rattle can or hi buck spray gun) do you use or have you used?

Just curious...

thanks,

-W

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2005, 07:45 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Way back in 1992, I painted the chrome bumpers on my 71 Mustang. I started off by grinding the chrome off, then I hammered the dents out and filled them. I shot K200 on them and painted them black with catalized acrylic enamel. They looked pretty descent, rusty chrome just didn't do it for me. When I sold the car the rear bumper looked like I just shot it and the front bumper had a few rock chips in it, this was 7 years after I painted them. This is what I would do if I decided to paint chrome bumpers again, but I would use better a better primer and paint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.