painting my truck need info?? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Very nice work so far, it looks great...I'm sorry, I've been doing custom paint for years and I've never heard of a "pear over the green"...what does that mean? Maybe I've done it and just called it something different.

Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Wow, that is a lot of work on the frame...killer number of hours I'm sure, did you do all the welding and design...very nice.

Ray
Old 12-13-2012, 10:53 PM

Last photo:

thank you sir.. losts of work and alot more to go.. ive been doing it all myself no help.. lol

i was thinking about mixing a pearl in the clear to spray over the green base.. like a ghost pearl.. kinda like i did here on my racing mower its a black base with a blue pearl in the clear..

Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Very nice looking mower and Kudos to the work on your frame that you've done...but...instead of putting the green pearl in your clear and if I remember correctly your using a Dupont base coat...consult your Dupont jobber and see if they can mix you a mid coat that's a base coat clear and put the pearls in that...If they question you, ask them what they use for a mid coat clear in Duponts "Hot Hues" collection. I know it's a transparent base coat with pearls in the mid coat. This would make your life a lot easier.

Ray
Old 12-14-2012, 12:37 AM

Last photo:

ok your going to have to show me what your talking about lol.. the green im using now has pearl in the mix but i want to just give it a crisp deep color in the sun.. the color is called Emerald Green Metallic Clearcoat

that mower is fast lol ive had it to 75mph but scared the poo out of me haha it makes well over 70hp with a real mower engine i have a video on youtube doing some testing if you want me to post it
Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I'm very familiar with GM W/A177B...but what I'm talking about is to not put the pearl in the catalyzed clear, you but it in a transparent base coat, just like the pearl that they but in the mid coat clear on the Cadillac tri coat pearl white or there "Hot Hues" collection...If you talk to your Dupont Jobber ask them to make up a mid coat similar to the Caddilac color and then spray it over top your green 177B...it will make your green pop even more...if you like I can make some calls tomorrow to my local Dupont jobber (whom I know quite well) and get you a formula...let me know if your interested...it's much safer to do it this way...it's cheaper than putting it in a catalyzed clear coat...and the effect is much more significant...let me know, I'll check my reply list in the morning...(it's almost 2 AM where I'm at now) but if you let me know, by 1 or 1:30 my time tomorrow, I'll have a mid coat formula for you and the formula will be simple.

I need to get some sleep so talk to you later my friend.

Ray
Old 12-14-2012, 12:57 AM

Last photo:

yes sir i would like to see what you come up with.. talk to your guy and let me know..
Old 12-14-2012, 07:09 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker52 View Post
ok i have a 98 chevy thats getting alot of metal work. most of the paint is in good shape but i will have some bare metal spots after the body work is done. ive been using the evercoat Z-grip mud to smooth out the metal work thats been done.

my question is im going to prime the whole truck after everthing is done but what should i use? omni mp282, dupont, or Clausen Z-Chrome rust defender? im trying to get the truck as strait as i can. its going back the factory dark green. also the paint is real good on the truck with no clear peeling what should i sand the truck down with before priming? im painting everthing the truck is down to the frame so i can prime everthing..

thanks for the info and help..
Theres no need to prime the whole truck,just the spots you worked on...What you need is a buildable epoxy primer that sands well and if you need to seal it you can use the same epoxy reduced 10 -20% I use ONLY SPI when it comes to epoxy, its the best bang for the buck.one primer for the whole job....
Old 12-14-2012, 07:21 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Theres no need to prime the whole truck,just the spots you worked on...What you need is a buildable epoxy primer that sands well and if you need to seal it you can use the same epoxy reduced 10 -20% I use ONLY SPI when it comes to epoxy, its the best bang for the buck.one primer for the whole job....
Hi Mike...I hope I got the name right, I hate calling anybody "dead", so if I got the name right let me know...just more comfortable with Mike than dead.

I would love to try some of the SPI product...I know you as well as others on this site swear by the product. I have no reason to doubt you but it's difficult for me to recommend something I haven't tried...Maybe I should PM Barry and see if it's even possible to ship to Canada with respect to VOC laws up here. Sure would love to try it, does is sand as well as a quality 2K primer like PPG's K38?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:29 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
yes sir i would like to see what you come up with.. talk to your guy and let me know..
OK will do...I'm assuming your using Chroma Base? Well it doesn't matter, I'll get formula's in both Chroma Base and Chroma Premier. Chroma base is just older technology and they don't have as many revised formulas in that product as they do in Chroma Premier. I know with Chroma Premier all I would need to do is check the "Hot Hues" chips and pick a green mid coat with a deeper green pearl. Chroma base I may need to look up the Cadillac Tri-Coat white and alter the white pearl in the mid coat and sub the proper green pearl.

Will have your answer by early afternoon.

Best to you and your project.
Ray
Old 12-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
OK, as promised here is the Dupont, Chroma Base formula for your "Green Pearl, Base Coat - Mid Coat".

Part # Volume
150K-USG B/C Balancer 50%
175K-USG B/C Binder 50%

There are different types of green pearl and they are powdered pearls.

Part# Amount
10085 Moss Green Pearl .4 grams per quart
10095 Super Green Pearl .4 grams per quart
10055 Gold Pearl .4 grams per quart

[B]The amount of Pearl you use is to your own preference, keep in mind that you do not need much to give you a vivid Pearl effect. I would recommend that you have your jobber mix up a small amount of each and check the Pearl effect in the sunlight. I included the Gold part # because I was thinking that it may be a nice touch to the W/A 177B paint your putting down as a Base. With the right amount of Gold Pearl, only the high points of your truck would look electric when in the sun...In the shade, it would be the regular green.[B][

This Mid Coat would use the same reducer as your W/A 177B Green Base Coat and is reduced 100% or 50 parts base, 50 parts reducer. A spray out panel would also be recommended so you can see how many coats of Mid Coat will give you the effect you want. Also, clear the spray out panels to get the full effect of the Pearl Mid Coat.

I hope this helps, and remember, it doesn't take much Pearl in the Mid Coat to give you effect in the sunlight so have the jobber mix a small amount first and decide if you need more or less Pearl...It's your call, but much cheaper and easier to repair if you ever need to than Pearl in a catalyzed clear.

Any other questions, please let me know.

Ray

P.S. I would have gotten you a Chroma Premier formula but it is discontinued in Canada due to VOC regulations and I had to go through Dupont's archives to find a Chroma Base formula. In other words, I ran out of time and I promised you 1:30 PM my time.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:59 PM

Last photo:

ok thank you sir.. so i would spry my base then put the mid coat over my base after that clear the truck?
Old 12-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

That's right, paint a test panel first, apply your base coat, and put on one coat of the pearl midcoat over the entire panel, let if flash, mask off a section about 4 inches long and apply another coat of the pearl midcoat, let it flash, mask off another 4 inches and then spray the pearl midcoat over the remaining panel, if you have room on your test panel do it one time, let it flash and remove all the masking paper, clear the entire panel and take it out in the sunlight. This way you will see the effect of 1,2,3 and 4 layers of mid coat and what effect sunlight has on it.

When you spray the midcoat, spray it the same way you would when spraying your truck. Generally 2 coats of pearl midcoat will give you the desired effect. This is dependent on how heavy you apply the mid coat. I recommended .4 grams per quart because pearls are sunlight sensitive and when they don't have any pigment in the mix, the true effect is realized.

I would try the gold...I think it would really pop in the sun.

Ray
Old 12-15-2012, 10:38 PM

Last photo:

sweet i will try that.. now where online can i find the mid coat stuff so i can order some to play around with?
Old 12-16-2012, 01:18 AM

Last photo:

been really thinking hard about doing it this way also.. looks sexy lol.. blue is my #1 color other then chrome haha

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.