Painting a new fender - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2005, 03:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Painting a new fender

I just installed the new inner fender on my truck. It looks pretty good. I wet sanded the factory dip with 320, washed and dried it, applied auto body primer from a can, then painted it black from a can. Instead of sanding the primer, I buffed it with a soft cloth (this worked very well). I'd post photos of it, but don't know how. NEXT, the new fender...

After talking to a friend that used to be in the coatings industry, I have decided to paint the new fender in my basement. I will shoot it from outside of the booth (through a hole in the curtain), which will be adequately vented into an outdoor air chamber that has an air filter to catch the particulates.

I'll be using an air compressor and standard spray gun. Not sure what nozzle is currently on the gun, but I plan to use a 1.3 per MARTINSR's guidelines.

I need to match the existing dark metallic blue and apply a clear coat over that. I don't want to mess with high VOC/low solvent paint and risk a bad paint job. I've gotten pretty good with the spray cans.

Q1: Given the color and that I'm only painting one fender, what type of paint should I use for the base coat and clear coat? I was thinking Laquer, because I can sand it down if I mess up.

Q2: What is the best way to color match my existing paint? I could take the old fender with me... Do I need to compensate for paint fade? How?

Q3: Does it matter which paint supplier I buy the paint from?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2005, 04:13 PM

Last photo:

I wouldn't use lacquer on a truck. The ONLY thing I would use lacquer for is if I wanted to have the orginal type of paint on an older vehicle that I was trying to be 100% correct on. And, I would NEVER use a lacquer primer.

If you are wanting to go with an inexpensive paint, I would go with the PPG Omni MTK single stage or MBP base coat and Omni Urethane Clear. It's an econo paint cheap enough to sand off and do over yet would be much more durable than lacquer.

Don't know if your truck is base/clear or single-stage but I'd go with which ever the factory did on the original.

I painted about half of a 91 Ford truck last year with Omni MTK and it came out pretty nice. The truck wasn't perfect so I didn't need to put top quality paint on it. I just gave the paint supplier the color code and it was a pretty darn good match (metallic green).

If you like Dupont their econo line is called Nason. Should be about the same as PPG Omni.

Last edited by roger1; 10-21-2005 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:42 PM

Last photo:

Non-factory paint color matching

Thanks for the suggestions on paint.

Sorry I forgot to mention that my truck has been repainted (poorly). The original color was a medium blue metallic (nice). The current paint job is a dark blue metallic.

I'd like to repaint the entire truch eventually, but for now, I just want the new fender to match the rest of the truck. How would I go about choosing the right color/tint?

Nice (65?) 'Vette.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcruise
Thanks for the suggestions on paint.

Sorry I forgot to mention that my truck has been repainted (poorly). The original color was a medium blue metallic (nice). The current paint job is a dark blue metallic.

I'd like to repaint the entire truch eventually, but for now, I just want the new fender to match the rest of the truck. How would I go about choosing the right color/tint?

Nice (65?) 'Vette.
Thanks! The Vette is a '66. Check out my gallery for detailed pics:
http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showga...0/ppuser/17782
I am working on a '69 as we speak.

If you can't get a formula from the shop that put that color on the truck, You will have to take the truck to a paint supplier that can scan the color and come up with a formula for it. I have never done this so I don't know how accurate it is. Others on this forum I am sure can offer more advice on this.

Sounds like you will have to strip the truck later when you do paint the entire truck. You don't want to do more than one re-paint without stripping.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:32 PM

Last photo:

Nice shop!
My dad would love the '69 Corvette. He's nuts about yellow cars.
I have a gas-powered Cox model of a 65 that is red.

The truck will definitely need to be stripped (to me that means sanding down to the original color). The repaint was applied directly over the old paint. Judging from the peeling, I don't even think they sanded/dewaxed/deglossed it. I'll repaint the whole truck eventually...
Old 10-23-2005, 11:00 PM

Last photo:

Take the old fender to your paint supplier, explain what you're trying to do then get his advice. Being that you don't know what the color code is and what paint was sprayed I wouldn't get your hopes up for a perfect match. Do the job right when it comes time to do the whole truck and strip it right down to bare metal if this is an older truck. Use good quality materials: epoxy primers, urethane surfacers, and urethane basecoat/clearcot. I wouldn't expect the rattlecan primer and paint to last very long on that innerfender. Bob
Old 10-24-2005, 03:13 AM

Last photo:

Thanks, Bob. A guy at the place I got the inner fender and fender from said the dip coating is guaranteed (or good for?) 25 years. I hope this makes up for the cheesy paint I used over it...

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.