Painting New Fiberglass body panels - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2005, 11:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Painting New Fiberglass body panels

I am currently getting ready to spray some fiberglass panels for an 18 wheeler. The fiberglass hood is being purchased new from an aftermarket dealer. Once the hood arrives will I need to prime it or can I just sand it with some 1000 and spray on? I will be using acryllic enamel by the way.

Thanks,
jchiesa

Advertisement

Last edited by jchiesa; 03-30-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2005, 02:26 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Scrub it

One of the things is that new fiberglass parts can have mold release wax on them so you need to scrub that part with ammonia and hot water till you are tired of scrubbing..

Then wipe it down with acetone to make sure all the wax is gone..

Watch for pinholes in the part..sometimes in spite of the best efforts there will be little air bubbles in the mold..to fix this use a primer surfacer..then spray it out with whatever you normally use in your shop..

OMT
Old 03-30-2005, 07:39 PM

Thanks a TON! I will wash it as you said before anything else. If the surface is already smooth, should I still sand it? I know that sanding promotes adhesion but I also don't want to muck up the job before I even spray.

Thanks again!
Old 03-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

It will probly have a smooth gel-coat finish which does need scuffing or sanding 400-600 before painting IMO. On the hood,It would be worth while to long block it before you shoot paint. Some imperfections could be in it that the naked eye won't see and as soon as you paint it will stick out like a sore thumb.My 'glass hood on my Ram had this happen and the upfitter had to replace the hood a year later at his expense. I'm not a pro on 'glass and I'm sure there are other ways to skin this cat so, hang loose and get some more oppinions before shooting a acrylic enam. and having to redo it.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:16 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Painting fiberglass

Paint will no tstick to slick shiny gelcoat..at least not for very long..Soooo scrub the part with 3M scrubbers or wash and wet sand..whatever you do get the wax off and get rid of the shiny before painting..a good quality primer or primer surfacer will take care of the deal from there and after that it is the normal bc/cc finish..

Properly prepared fiberglass parts are dull (no shiny anywhere) then apply paint..

OMT
Old 04-20-2009, 09:02 AM

Priming fiberglass panels?

I was going to use southern polyurethanes products on my firebird. I'm going to strip everything down and use epoxy on the metal, then 2K urethane, then possibly poly primer and then seal. My question is would I be better off using the same steps on the fiberglass panels or just use 2K urethane? What would you guys do diff on the fiberglass panels? Thanks.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:14 PM

primer

One great solution would be to use the zero rust primer paint together with zero rust prep. You would mix the prep with water, its a phosphatizer and not an acid, this will bring the metal to ph6 and then spray with zero rust. *********** for more information

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 04-20-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Advertising. Please see: commercial posting guidelines.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.