Painting over base coat clear coat - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 10:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Painting over base coat clear coat

Hello, I have a question. I painted my truck with a base coat clear coat, shot black and then a flat clear. I had problems with this. Now I am going to use Paint Shop by Dupicolor laquer. Will I need to prime first, or can I scuff and paint it? Wondering if I need to sand down through the clear.

thanks for any advice.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 11:11 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

What kind of problems did you have? What kind of paint did you use? If you used a urethane, I would repaint it with a single stage black urethane, you don't need the clear on there. You can color sand a solid color....I would stay as far away from that Duplicolor paint as I could after seeing the Mustang they painted on TV with it.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:46 AM

I think that's a bit excessive thing to do. As for me wouldn't do it either.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:04 AM

Last photo:

Whatever you are spraying... sand with 600-800. Try NOT to go through the clear.

On a footnote... I've been doing this professionally for about 40 years. I've used lacquer for most of that time.

Lacquer products do not hold up very long compared to urethanes or catalyzed enamels. Depending on how you use it... clean it... and how much time it spends in the sun.. you could be repainting the car again in a very short time! :-(
Old 10-15-2011, 05:50 PM

Last photo:

Painting over base coat clear coat

Hey guys, thanks for the input. The problems we had were, when we shot the clear, the cab came out nice and flat, the fenders and bed came out satin finish... (sprayed at same time.) We tried this again 3 more times and that when I gave up. Can not figure out what the deal was.

I didn't really care after all the trouble if it was flat or satin, I just wanted one or the other. Then I heard about the Dupicolor paint on Two guys garage. They did some stuff with it and it looked pretty easy. What show was the mustang on, and what happened? This is the first Ive heard.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:33 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

The Mustang was on Power Block TV. It looked really bad. There was a lot of negative comments about the paint on several different BBs.....They make single stage urethane hot rod black if that is what you are trying to do. You can scuff the clear and paint right over the top.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

A while back, I painted some parts with 2k "Hot Rod Flatz" brand and noticed that they came out in varying shades of "gloss". I posted a query here and Barry responded back with info concerning this problem. The bottom line is that one must be very careful with recoat times. If you push the window, you'll get more gloss. After experimenting with this, I found it to be true. The sooner you recoat, the glossier the "flatness".

Russ
Old 10-16-2011, 06:17 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the input. I had bought some of the dupicolor paint, have not opened it, I will take back and then buy the HotRod flatz. I was going to try it and then saw the Dupicolor paint.

thanks again
Old 10-19-2011, 02:58 PM

satin black

I would sand the clear with 500 wet. Re-coat with Kustom shop hot rod flatz(black) this product is a single stage with flattening agent already in it. Make sure you stir the color very well before adding hardener or you could have issues with gloss %. I just finished a 39 ford with this material,it worked out great!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:59 PM

Last photo:

Hey drybones, thanks for the tip. I am looking forward to trying it.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.