Painting over Epoxy Primer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2005, 01:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Painting over Epoxy Primer

I am coating the freshly stripped tub on my Early Bronco with Nason Ful-Poxy. I will still have some body work to do and patching. After I am done I want to paint the inside and underside with Nason Ful-Thane Urethane. I don't want to have to put on a high build primer on the underside, sand and then paint. Can I paint right on top of the epoxy primer? I assume that I will need to scuff the epoxy. Should I then coat with another coat of epoxy and then color or should I spray a coat of sealer before the color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2005, 04:40 PM

Scuff Meister

Every paint manufacturer has their own recommendations on what you can do and what you can't do. Unfortunately I'm unfamiliar with Nason products, I do know that PPG's epoxy primers allow you a 7 day "window" to apply primers,topcoat or what ever else you plan on putting over your epoxy. After 7 days they recommend you use this new fangled gadget called a scuff pad to abrade the primer before continuing on. Did you like that word? I would check with the manufacturer to be on the safe side!
Old 10-13-2005, 09:02 AM

Last photo:

Well I got an answer back from Nason. They recommend a sealer over the epoxy before the paint. They said that you can paint over the epoxy, but best results would be with a sealer. Maybe they are trying to sell more product or cover their tails, but I will seal over it to make sure.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm800
Well I got an answer back from Nason. They recommend a sealer over the epoxy before the paint. They said that you can paint over the epoxy, but best results would be with a sealer. Maybe they are trying to sell more product or cover their tails, but I will seal over it to make sure.
I thought epoxy was a sealer?
Old 10-13-2005, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
this is probably for adhesion reasons. yes you can use epoxy as the sealer itself. you just want to be spraying base on a somewhat fresh substrate rather than epoxy thats been sitting for awhile.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:52 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Frank I use epoxy mostly as a sealer and paint right over it without issues... With spi products I don't think you will have any issues, I have however used other company's epoxy namely Northstar, you can sand it after 12 hours, and must be top coated within 48 I think or you must scuff.. I did not think it was as good a product as spi FYI... It said to reduce up to 100% and at 50% it was like water... This is soley my opinon though.... When I spray spi it sticks like glue, and you have the 7 day recoat window, not to mention the rest of the things I can do that are not on the tech sheets, that I would not dare do with someone elses product....Its the only brand I use now...

If I have a big section of bare metal, of course it gets epoxy, but as I stated above I use it to seal up my work before bc/cc... I do my bodywork, 2k, and then seal it all with epoxy, and this is done on two separate days too... I let my 2k set a night sanded and in the sun if it permits the next day before I add the epoxy... I also let that set a full night and scuff any nibs out the next afternoon after the car has been in the sun if it permits.... bc/cc and works great for me..

Mrclean, I am curious too as to what you said... What really is the difference between the two.. I know Barry sells sealer, but I have never ask him about it, or even considered buying it since I keep epoxy on hand at all times these days... I was under the assumption ( I know that is dangerous) that they were very much similar, and would be a waste of my money.. Whats the gig bro???? I gotta know now

BTW sorry all, I seemed to have rambled on... It must be the fumes in my tiny garage nowdays... I can spit and hit the oposing wall

Matthew
Old 10-14-2005, 05:27 AM

Last photo:

king....i have used barry's sealer. its a completely different product, its urethane based and very watery. if your using the epoxy to seal then there is no real benefit to switch to his sealer. the epoxy will work fine. i personally use a sealer before spraying base on anything. when i say sealer i just mean s fresh coat of something, primer, epoxy, sealer, etc. i find the base bonds so much better to the substrate if you do that. for everything i do, i dont exactly base things out then clear them. they tend to sit around for a week or two getting handled and artwork goes on. makes it more durable when doing tapeouts things like that.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:32 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

Quote:
Well I got an answer back from Nason. They recommend a sealer over the epoxy before the paint. They said that you can paint over the epoxy, but best results would be with a sealer. .
I'm surprised by this answer as well, I paint right over epoxy all the time
with no issues.
I do scuff it when it sits longer, like overnight.
I usually paint right over it with base as soon as the epoxy flashes
and it seems to seal as well as sealer.
I agree with Mathew on all his points.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:55 AM

Last photo:

Epoxy makes for a great sealer, people only run into trouble when they apply base too soon which causes loss in gloss and also when base is applied too late which makes for adhesion problems. Scuff when in doubt and don't use it as a wet on wet sealer- the thicker the stuff is applied the longer it takes to cure. At least that's the way I see it, maybe I'll get corrected if I'm wrong.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:54 AM

information is very useful, you all are very knowledgeable, thanks guys
Old 11-07-2013, 06:06 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm800 View Post
I used that Nason epoxy ONCE in a moment of desperation and weekness ,,,I didnt even wait for it to dry I washed it all off with thinner then promptly tossed out what was left..
YOU DONT NEED A SEALER They ARE trying to sell you something.. its there job to sell not give good advice.
my best advice to you is get your money back or sand it off and throw the rest out...then get SPI epoxy and the hotline number so if you ever have any questions you can get an instant answear thats the TRUTH.. the difference between SPI and that crap is going to be instantly obvious as soon as you open the can ...why buy cheap crap when you can get the best for less???

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.