Painting Over Paint? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Painting Over Paint?

My Dippy is going to need a paint job.. i know i'll have to be masked and what not.. but cant you just paint over paint?.. the few door dings from when the door was opened and knocked into the poles in my garage.. (not me ) Also theres a scratch on the fender.... sand it over first?

-Scott

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2007, 05:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well yes and no. If the paint on it is sound and catalyzed or modern factory finish, and your using modern basecoat/ urethane polyurethanes 2k materials, should be fine painting over. Lacquer over enamels and polyurethanes, you have a chance of lifting it, and usually best to get all out dated material off and use modern materials. With all the rustoleum, tractor paint and lacquer threads lately, never know what someone is planning or may have used any more. If you use any of this stuff, or its on the car, your on your own if you use or paint over without stripping. No self respecting shop would really want to use lacquer anymore or would even think of using rustoleum on a car exterior and call it a paint job.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

its deff factory paint.. so whatever they used in 1985...there we go
Old 08-10-2007, 09:45 PM

Last photo:

What is a Dippy? If the old paint is defective, peeling etc... you'll need to sand it off, prime, sand and then you can paint. Don't paint over defective paint.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:54 PM

Last photo:

I am just guessing, but maybe a dodge diplomat. Car year 1985, right at the start of switch to base clear, new paint emmisions laws, and all the resulting paint delimation issues from then through the mid 90's. Chryslers continue to have problems with paint. What are your expectations, how much time do you want to devote and spend, and are you willing to take a risk if using pricey paint materials? I'd strip just for the piece of mind, and knowing what I have and using fresh 2k materials for a long lasting paint job if spending some good jing on paint. Stripping would cost you mostly time, and a bit in extra materials, which are cheap compared to quality paint.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

yep your right.. it was really just a thought.. its my current dd.. until i get something else.. i'm going to get it painted by someone thats a painter.. but i didnt know if it needed to be sanded all off.... but door dings gotta be fixed 1st
Old 08-13-2007, 07:16 PM

Last photo:

If the paint is that old would it have already started coming up if it's going to or is there still a chance that it might down the road? Just wondering because I have a thing for late 80's cars and I'm bound to find myself wondering about this sooner or later. So far, I've ended up with peelers so there was no question about whether or not to strip 'em down.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:03 PM

Last photo:

Boy you would think that it would shown up after this amount of time if it was going to. I think, at least in gm vehicles, they skipped spray primer, and painted over the ecoat primer, the base didn't have good adhesion to it and uv's would get past the color coat and deliminate it from the primer. I don't know about ford or chrysler, but was working in a ford dealer in the early 90's and I know we sure stripped enough of them. Gm was telling to go down to primer I believe, and ford strip everything off. Maybe you would be safe after that many years, but I'd rather error on the side of saftey with costs of material today. They say factory can use better paint then you can get when you refinish vehicles, due to being different then what a bodyshop could get or use, the factory can bake at very high temps that bodyshops don't have the equiptment to do and even if could, would melt plastics, ect on assembled car, But regulations and cost cutting measures have gotten factorys in trouble. Some orange peel on factory cars practically look like stucco, and see a fair share of peelers, thin clear or through color, or clearcoat that is breaking down, deliminating out on the roads. Gm and ford I guess have been looking into powdercoating, but cost prohibitive, as well as more plastics used today so difficulty matching sprayed parts, and guess can't get as good of a good looking/gloss finish or something, and finish is a lot of what sells a car. I'd hate to think of repairability if factory started powdercoating the exteriors.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:36 AM
Army Strong

Last photo:

this paint is in ex. cond.. but its the ugliest color you've ever seen.. and to fix the dings.. and the deep scratch..to the metal.. you'd have to paint it.. I think it'd look good in black.. with that tan interior..

Old 08-14-2007, 02:45 PM

Last photo:

Land Yacht!

Yeah, black would look good with that interior but....you know it's going to just scream narc car, right? lol How about burgundy?

I'd think that if it was going to peel it would show some sign of it by now. I've got an 86 Regal waiting it's turn for a make over. The paint is dead, dull as dishwater, but I can't see anything that even looks like an adhesion problem. Don't know for sure whether I'll strip it or not, I don't think it would take much sanding to get down to primer, but my inclination is to not fix it if it ain't broken. I'll wait and see how powdery the paint is when I start to sand it, I guess.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

narc car?

burgandy.. wouldnt look that bad..

GOOOOO GAMECOCKS (SC Gamecocks) (it'll probally blank it out)
Old 08-15-2007, 04:45 AM

Last photo:

Duh! lol I forgot that you aren't old enough to get the reference. Narc car = undercover narcotics agent, unmarked police car, government sedan.

Gamecocks, huh? To most folks around here they are the enemy but I refuse to follow college ball. I just avoid going to town when Clemson plays at home. HATE the traffic!

That interior doesn't limit your color choices too badly. It would also go with blue. White would look sharp with it as well. Just, for goodness sake, don't paint it orange!
Old 08-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

haha must be from up there... i really like the dark/light in cars.. my uncle has an 07 Pontiac G6 silver..black interior...

its burgandy or black.. no pinstripes..

and i mis-read that .. i know what a narc car is

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.