Painting Panels on truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2003, 07:32 AM
Just a firefighter

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: New rear rollpan installed
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Question Painting Panels on truck

OK, I'm still working on my '46 Chevy Panel truck and I just painted the firewall area yesterday. Have to admit for the first time it came out really good. Well anyway the color of the truck is going to be "Emergency -One" fire truck fleet red.(cause I r a firefighter) Well I got looking at it last nite and thought that is going to be one BIG, BRIGHT red blob running down the road. I looked for awhile, thinking and looked at the panels moulded in the sides and rear doors along with the grille. I was planning on painting that already. Well what I decided to do is paint the grille, side and rear panels a dark purple, mid-night blue/black or a dark maroon kinda color, I haven't picked one yet. My question is how do I need to do that? Do I paint the body all red first then over lay the other or do I have to paint the body the second color first and tape off the panel areas? Or could I get away with painting the panels alittle beyond the edges and taping, resanding and paint the rest of the body? I know this is a long question but this is my first automotive paint job so I need to ask alot to make sure I do it right.

Thanks guys

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2003, 09:32 AM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

It's good you're thinking about it first Bluepen!! I have panel painted both ways, the whole vehicle, then mask and paint panels, as well as paint with panels masked, then do panels. I like painting w/panels masked as you will have less paint film when done- Less paint film= less chance of orange peel, less chance of cracking due to too thick of film. You can mask right to the edge and clear it all if you're doing BC/CC or stripe the edge if single stage. Base/Clear will give it depth and look super cool!!! Hope this helps you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.