Painting passenger compartment 1940 Hudson - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 05:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Painting passenger compartment 1940 Hudson

Great Board, been lurking and trying to learn but I have a question. I'm restoring a 1940 Hudson coupe and the interior of the body is rusty. The sheet metal has the feeling of 100 grit sand paper, no deep pits that I can find. My intention is to treat it with Ospho then prime and paint it. I have read numerous articles and posts on here about not using 2K primer over acid but I don't see another way to de-rust and stabilize the interior, to many tight spots that are inaccessible to a wire brush or grinder. My question is, can I use an oil base\enamel\laquer primer over the Ospho then paint it with enamel\laquer and have a good out come? The ares to be painted will be hidden by the interior. Any help or suggested process for moving forward would be greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	71901  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 05:14 AM

Last photo:

Have you considered glass beading/soda blasting the interior panels of car then coating the entire area with rust neutralizer,including spraying the neutralizer down into the hidden areas and letting gravity do its thing?
Then Id spray it all down with good ol "oxford oxide" rustoleum rusty metal primer ,again letting it run down into the hidden areas to help seal them.
What are you doing with bottem side of car and frame,are they being stripped/blasted?
Old 03-02-2013, 06:49 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wageslave View Post
Great Board, been lurking and trying to learn but I have a question. I'm restoring a 1940 Hudson coupe and the interior of the body is rusty. The sheet metal has the feeling of 100 grit sand paper, no deep pits that I can find. My intention is to treat it with Ospho then prime and paint it. I have read numerous articles and posts on here about not using 2K primer over acid but I don't see another way to de-rust and stabilize the interior, to many tight spots that are inaccessible to a wire brush or grinder. My question is, can I use an oil base\enamel\laquer primer over the Ospho then paint it with enamel\laquer and have a good out come? The ares to be painted will be hidden by the interior. Any help or suggested process for moving forward would be greatly appreciated
Ospho is a great product for removing rust but it has to be done jut right or you could have problems...The proceedure is pretty simple and anybody can do it with great results but the proceedure has to be followed to the tee (PM me about it). Using anything but epoxy primer would be a huge mistake and a total waste of your time...If you care anything about that beautiful car and doing a nice respectable job, epoxy primer is what you want ...Epoxy primer is the best but not all epoxies are created equal...For me and my shop theres only one epoxy I'll use, SPI epoxy primer ,I've been using it for years ...Before you take my word just hit he search button at the top of this page enter: (SPI) or ( SPI epoxy primer)

Ospho and SPI epoxy work very well together,my two favorite products... I use them both almost every day...
Heres my personal project car....it couldnt have been done without them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Car5.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	601.8 KB
ID:	71906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car3.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	721.3 KB
ID:	71907   Click image for larger version

Name:	img011.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	71908   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7634.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	935.3 KB
ID:	71909   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7134.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	776.0 KB
ID:	71910  

Old 03-02-2013, 08:07 AM

Last photo:

zmax, DBM
Thanks for your reply's. I don,t have a major rust problem inside the car, I just don't want to leave it untouched. zmax: What you describe, minus the soda blast is what I was thinking of doing. DBM: my interior rust issues look like about like the inner door of the coupe door you have pictured in your post. My preference would be epoxy, my concern is that I wont be able to clean all the tight areas zmax mentioned before applying epoxy. The Hudson sat frozen to the ground in a field in S.D. for years before I bought it with one door window open and the other broken out, but it's not as bad as it could be. DBM: if it ok I'd like to pm you about applying the ospho.
Thanks gentlemen
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	54
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	71911  
Old 03-02-2013, 09:47 AM

Last photo:

Ive bought a lot of old trucks out of the fields in s.d in the past,happy tin hunting grounds and no salt on the roads like around here
Old 03-02-2013, 11:00 AM

Last photo:

zmax,
The floor and frame were pretty much toast, back half was sitting on the ground. I fabricated a new frame with late model running gear set up for a narrowed 9 inch Ford, 500 Caddy, TH 400 and mustang 2 front suspension. Once I'm done with the body work it'll get a new floor firewall to trunk.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:12 AM

Last photo:

Sounds like a cool project!
We used to bring stuff back from around mission and winter back in the day,of course that was back before the cash for clunkers days.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:01 PM

Last photo:

Here's one of the few 40 Hudsons I've found completed. It's very close to what I want to do, skirts and all. Hood tilts forward from the factory. Just a great body style.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	56
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	71914  
Old 03-02-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
zmax, DBM
Thanks for your reply's. I don,t have a major rust problem inside the car, I just don't want to leave it untouched. zmax: What you describe, minus the soda blast is what I was thinking of doing. DBM: my interior rust issues look like about like the inner door of the coupe door you have pictured in your post. My preference would be epoxy, my concern is that I wont be able to clean all the tight areas zmax mentioned before applying epoxy. The Hudson sat frozen to the ground in a field in S.D. for years before I bought it with one door window open and the other broken out, but it's not as bad as it could be. DBM: if it ok I'd like to pm you about applying the ospho.
Thanks gentlemen
Absolutely,Thats a real beauty...I'd be happy to help resurect another dead body...man

Last edited by deadbodyman; 03-02-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Here's one of the few 40 Hudsons I've found completed. It's very close to what I want to do, skirts and all. Hood tilts forward from the factory. Just a great body style.
Making the skirts isnt too hard either.
on my car they dont look right so I wont use them but they do look right on yours....Man...That really is an awesome looking car....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_7745.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	71915   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7740.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	712.5 KB
ID:	71916  
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
wageslave (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 12:56 PM

Last photo:

Being so rare everything I've done so far I've had to fabricate but it's been a good learning process. Had to build an e-wheel to do door skin and patch panels. Drivers door was hit and someone did the heat and beat to get it back in shape, bottom 6 inches was rusted off, "I love the smell of grinding disks in the morning"
This stuff will teach you patience and humility
or
you'll just go postal
Old 03-02-2013, 01:17 PM

I had to make my door bottoms also, these were the hardest ones I ever made but dam it was fun
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_5294.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	997.8 KB
ID:	71917  
Old 03-02-2013, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

You got skills
Old 03-02-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
You got skills
Well not so much as I'd like but what I do have is a love for the work and the need to do everything myself.....and a willingness to listen and learn from others helps too...
Old 03-03-2013, 07:02 AM

Its not very often I like the look and shape of a car so much I look it up but your Hudson is really nice... Heres a link with a few .Hudson 1940 Car Pics..

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.