Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Painting with pearl
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19chevytruck90 View Post
I also looked at using an intercoat clear to carry the pearl but they don't use that at that shop and so don't carry it.

Any help I can get would sure be appreciated.
OK, let's get started...Your going to use PPG's Omni plus. To start of, if I am correct they use a powdered pearl. Have them mix up 1 litre (sorry US quart) of straight black base coat, when they are done have them add .3 grams of blue powdered pearl, mix it well and look at your mixing stick inside the store. Then (hopefully it's a sunny day) take it outside and look at it in the sun. It should give you the effect you want, subtle but there when the sun hits the high points of your vehicle. If you want more effect add more pearl to the quart of black until you get what you want and keep track of how much pearl you've added...now you have a formula for the main color for your truck.

Paint the truck in the black pearl base only, get coverage allowing proper flash times. When done and flashed mask off your flames and put plastic or paper over the entire truck and paint the flames a straight black (if you add white pearl to black you don't get the effect as when you add a different color like blue or red etc), ask your paint jobber to pour off 1 pint of base coat converter (Binder) in the Omni system and add about .1 grams of white pearl to the converter, reduce as normal and gently dust it into the edges of the flames with less as you get close to the center. When you have the effect you want, unmask the flames and clear the entire truck.

The hardest part is masking the flames and doing the fading from white pearl to black. I would recommend a test panel painted black and GENTLY dusting the white pearl over top. Paint the entire panel with one coat, mask off a 4 inch section, another coat and mask of a 4 inch section, another coat mask off a 4 inch section. Remove the masking and clear the entire panel, take it outside in the sunlight and you will soon see which effect you like the best.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions just ask.

Ray

Last edited by 69 widetrack; 11-03-2012 at 05:26 PM.